• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reputable Senegal breeders on the East coast?

ParrotGeek

Moving in
I have been considering getting a Sennie for a while now, but I am afraid to fall for a scam. Finch farm and Bird Breeders.com look kind of sketchy, so I don't want to risk it. Do any of you guys know of a reputable Senegal breeder on the East coast of the U.S? Thanks!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Which part of the East coast? You mentioned on your other thread that you couldn't go to far. We'll be able to help more if you give us a slightly more narrowed down area.

Ali

ParrotGeek

Moving in
Which part of the East coast? You mentioned on your other thread that you couldn't go to far. We'll be able to help more if you give us a slightly more narrowed down area.

Ali

DMV area. Currently in Maryland.

Reactions: Ali

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if TC Feathers Aviary breeds Senegals but you could give them a call and check. Only birds available on their baby webpage right now are Caiques and a Dusky Conure.
Still might be worth giving them a call. Hand-Fed Babies
They are located in Virginia.

ParrotGeek

Moving in
I don't know if TC Feathers Aviary breeds Senegals but you could give them a call and check. Only birds available on their baby webpage right now are Caiques and a Dusky Conure.
Still might be worth giving them a call. Hand-Fed Babies
They are located in Virginia.
Thank you so much!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Ask Brian at The Parrot's Nest in Hampstead. But be aware that birds are in short supply these days. There aren't many breeders in MD these days for birds bigger than a conure.

ParrotGeek

Moving in
Ask Brian at The Parrot's Nest in Hampstead. But be aware that birds are in short supply these days. There aren't many breeders in MD these days for birds bigger than a conure.
Thanks! I do have a question, however. Why exactly is there a shortage of birds? Is it just the region I'm in, or not the breeding season, or an overall decline in breeders?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Thanks! I do have a question, however. Why exactly is there a shortage of birds? Is it just the region I'm in, or not the breeding season, or an overall decline in breeders?
A few reasons.
1. natural disasters in Florida, where most large breeding operations are located. A lot of birds killed by hurricanes.
2. due to covid many airlines won't ship birds, so it's very difficult to get birds up from Florida to Maryland. You basically have to drive a van down and bring them up if you have a store, and that takes a ton of time and money.
3. there are just far fewer small breeders these days, especially of medium or large birds, especially in the mid atlantic.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you contact Phoenix Landing parrot rescue I think you may find one. I saw a photo of a sennie on their FB page.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OK here you go, this is Phoebee on their FB page. For everyone that buys a bird from a breeder there is a bird left homeless. Please find it in your heart to adopt.

1599598672171.png

Omixochitl

Checking out the neighborhood
Can somebody guide me to finding a rescue Poicephalus parrot? I lost my baby of 30+ years and I’ve course I’m willing to rehome a rescue that’s what I do with my dogs. I’ve searched many rescues but don’t know how to find a Poi, And I don’t think that I want a bird that has horrible behavior issues. I hope that’s not considered mean?

OK here you go, this is Phoebee on their FB page. For everyone that buys a bird from a breeder there is a bird left homeless. Please find it in your heart to adopt.

View attachment 352897

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can somebody guide me to finding a rescue Poicephalus parrot? I lost my baby of 30+ years and I’ve course I’m willing to rehome a rescue that’s what I do with my dogs. I’ve searched many rescues but don’t know how to find a Poi, And I don’t think that I want a bird that has horrible behavior issues. I hope that’s not considered mean?
I'm sorry you lost your bird. Where are you located? A lot of rescues list their birds on Petfinder.

Bea

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello, I am a long time member but I haven’t posted in years, I saw this post and figured I’d mention that I have a little Senegal I am going to rehome due to a move out of state. We will be in a condo and I cannot take my birds. She will be a year old in November and is a wonderful bird who goes to anyone. Playful and loving, I dread rehoming her but don’t have a choice. I am in Ohio, I only want a forever home for her, I wouldn’t have purchased her had I known I would have to rehome her, but know I am responsible to find the best home possible for her. There will be a rehoming fee as well. 59CA0E6B-F0B4-44AD-B19F-679F603A0584.png