• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reputable breeders?

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
I’m watching a number of breeders online but I am hesitant to buy from them because I have no clue how ethical they are, what conditions are their birds kept in, etc. especially since they are all too far to visit In person.
Is there a list of trusted reputable breeders somehere? I could not find it. Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are rescues everywhere just filled with birds through no fault of their own looking for a great home. You could be that great home.

Don't shop. Adopt. Please.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with John and Diane. Even though my bird came from a breeder, as an adult, I still consider him adopted/rescue. Initially, I was looking for an Amazon but ended up with a bird who was in need of a home and some good TLC. Even though it's only been a year, he has given me so much in the short time we've known each other. He has made leaps and bounds, and all it took was a little patience and understanding. I wouldn't trade this imp for anything!
Even if you're set on going with a breeder, it doesn't hurt to consider the poor unfortunates who are waiting for their special someone.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too strongly encourage adoption. That said, if you don't want to go that route, and you tell us where you're located and what type of bird your interested in people here may be able to suggest breeders.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Oh I totally agree with you guys that rescues are a much better way to go than a breeder. I’ve had three parrots over my adult life and they are all rescues. The problem is, I get very attached to my birds and two of them passed on my watch, which is just the worst, easily the worst moments of my life. I took them to the avian vet a lot because they had health issues (extensive history of self mutilation with my citron cockatoo, arthritis in my elderly Meyers). But the vet didn’t/ couldn’t help and I still cry every time I think of them. So I’m trying to find a bird that can be with me for many years because I can’t handle the heartbreak of losing another bird any time soon.
Another issue is that all of the local rescue birds that I’m interested in are either old, have significant health issues, or really insist on having a male caretaker. When a new bird pops up on the rescue website, I immediately contact them only to find out that the bird is already being adopted. And this happens over and over again. So the breeders are my last stop just because I’m getting very frustrated.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I hear you. Years ago I was able to adopt our first macaw out of state - now it’s doesn’t appear possible. For whatever reason it seems as if the rescues will only adopt close to home and while I agree with most of their reasons it’s frustrating. There are breeders who retire their birds. I have two cockatoos who are retired breeders and they are sweet. Both are in their mid twenties. Idk just a thought.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Keep an eye on Craigslist - I know it’s can be a crap shoot but I found a older Buffwing who was living in a cage with no perches and no toys. He’s a character. Actually a friend found him and we worked together to get him out of his situation.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
I hear you. Years ago I was able to adopt our first macaw out of state - now it’s doesn’t appear possible. For whatever reason it seems as if the rescues will only adopt close to home and while I agree with most of their reasons it’s frustrating. There are breeders who retire their birds. I have two cockatoos who are retired breeders and they are sweet. Both are in their mid twenties. Idk just a thought.
I just found someone selling “breeder pair” parrotlets and they say that the birds are under 1 year old. The pictures look like they are in a crappy cage with no toys :(( maybe I’ll rescue them but then I don’t really want them to have babies (or at least now right away). How do I ensure that they don’t breed?

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I’ve been asking the same questions - and I’ve been told take their eggs and replace them with dummy eggs. Dummyeggs.com

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, destroy eggs will ensure no young will come from them.
You can boil eggs, allow to cool and replace, or switch for dummy egg - quicker and less stress for the hen.
It is handy to have dummy eggs incase you take an egg to boil and accidently break it.

Don´t provide nesting boxes or other little hideouts or nooks.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Yes, destroy eggs will ensure no young will come from them.
You can boil eggs, allow to cool and replace, or switch for dummy egg - quicker and less stress for the hen.
It is handy to have dummy eggs incase you take an egg to boil and accidently break it.

Don´t provide nesting boxes or other little hideouts or nooks.
This is really weird considering that I eat chicken eggs but when I think of parrot eggs I’m suddenly pro-life :( it would be really hard for me to break them

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is really weird considering that I eat chicken eggs but when I think of parrot eggs I’m suddenly pro-life :( it would be really hard for me to break them
Boil them or crack them open, up to you. But do it the day they are laid, it has to be done quick.
An egg is not laid with a chick inside it. So destroy it before the chick starts forming.
I hope that eases your conscience?
Just remember, if you let the birds keep the eggs and chicks hatch, things can go wrong very quick and if you don´t know what you are doing, the chicks may die. That is much worse than smashing a couple of eggs. Your birds will be stressed and you will feel awful, trust me.

Please keep us updated on the parrotlets, and post a picture if you bring them home :) They are such beautiful birds ❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I just found someone selling “breeder pair” parrotlets and they say that the birds are under 1 year old. The pictures look like they are in a crappy cage with no toys :( maybe I’ll rescue them but then I don’t really want them to have babies (or at least now right away). How do I ensure that they don’t breed?
Very nice of you to consider helping them. I'm not sure how easy parrotlets are to sex. So it's possible they're not boy/girl. And if they are, things like not giving them a nest box, frequently rearranging the cage, etc. can help discourage egg laying.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Very nice of you to consider helping them. I'm not sure how easy parrotlets are to sex. So it's possible they're not boy/girl. And if they are, things like not giving them a nest box, frequently rearranging the cage, etc. can help discourage egg laying.
Parrotlets are very easy to sex. The males have bright blue rump feathers. Females do not. Males also have more grey tones in their wing feathers, but this can change in colour mutations. Blue rump is a dead give away! :awletf::awpletm::pletb::bpletm::parrotletgreenhen::pletgm: (yay! even our bird emoji show this!)

I am mostly wondering if these birds are truly a bonded pair. They are under 1 year, if they are less than 10 months they wouldn't be sexually mature. I would use caution and watch them very well if you decide to adopt them. When they do mature they might end up fighting. Parrotlets can kill their mates, even pairs that have lived together happily for years can have a change of heart. Wild parrotlets have even been observed to gravely wound each other in the wild. I love my parrotlets dearly, they are such sweet and lovely birds. So do not get the wrong idea that they aren't fantastic birds. I am just hoping to point out some possible problems. I think they can be a misunderstood parrot. If you read their body language you will never have problems :) They love scirtches, and LOVE cuddling in warm areas.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@fashionfobie They sound a lot like lovebirds:roflmao:, except for being sexually dimorphic.
Sexual dimorphism is very helpful! The biggest problem with parrotlets is that no one takes them seriously when they are acting angry, hormonal, or cage territorial...because they have the most adorable angry bodies. The attack of the fluffy tribbles. So sometimes people don't handle their behaviours properly.. some even encourage it. So then you have a parrotlet that is never let out of the cage because he bites someone or attacks another bird. So sad :(

They are cute when angry, but videos like these make me really irritated. The poor bird.

They can also get really attached to random objects so sometimes it is just a matter of reading the language and stepping back. In this video he is even showing aggression towards his mate because of his blanket ownership.

Elizabeth8577

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth Rodgers
This is just my opinion but a breeder that sells online not knowing what type of home it will be going to isn't a very good breeder. You should definitely find a breeder close to you so you can go see how baby is kept and to visit with baby. This will also help ease stress on baby when going to your home if it already knows you.

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
There are a number of bird associations that have reputable breeders as members and can usually help to connect with them. If there is a breeder you are thinking of using check and see if they have any reviews on line and ask for references from previous customers and their vet. Also ask lots of questions, most reputable breeders love their birds and are happy to help educate potential new owners about them. You should also not be afraid to ask for pictures. Look at the birds feet and feather condition. Make sure to get at least one picture that shows the whole cage and pay attention to how clean the cage bottom is and the feed dishes.