• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reptiles with shortest lifespans?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Are there any reptiles(or amphibians, I guess, but reptiles are preferred) that live around 5 years? Is that wishful thinking?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Anoles perhaps?
Long tailed lizards
Chameleons tend to not live long I believe

Or you could adopt an older reptile

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Although they live 10 to 20 years, If you want a reptile I would wholeheartedly suggest a leopard gecko.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I adore my gecko girl. She will be 7 in February

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Mizzely has good ideas. Pygmy chameleons are adorable and live to about 3 years, other chameleons don't live too long either. Long taied lizards and anoles are not long lived either.

My local pet shop has some tiny sand geckos which are adults. They are about 1.5 cm long and won't any bigger. They have short lifespans too, and there is not a single caresheet on them anywhere.

As Mizzely said, adopting an older reptile is a great idea. There are so many out there that need new homes where owners can't keep them anymore, and there is even a rescue in the UK dedicated to reptiles!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Chameleons have notoriously short lifespans in captivity, but I suspect this is due to poor husbandry and difficulty meeting their unique needs, rather than a naturally short-lived nature.

Small mass-produced lizards, like green anoles, would probably be your safest bet for a lizard that is not likely to survive for that many years, no matter what you do for them. They are also a relatively easy reptile for a first time owner.

On this list of short lived pets, the only reptile is the chameleon, but I would not recommend them for your first lizard. They are fragile and have very specific care requirements.

Personally, if you absolutely must have a short-lived pet, I would not get a reptile. With proper care, most species will live much longer than 5 years and your choices will be very limited.

If you really want to have a reptile, but don't want one that will live forever, there are many options if you are able to commit to something in the 10 to 15 year range. Bearded dragons are my personal favorite recommendation for a good beginner lizard. Easy care requirements, easy to hand tame, big but not too big, and unlikely to live longer than 10-15 years.

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mizzely has good ideas. Pygmy chameleons are adorable and live to about 3 years, other chameleons don't live too long either. Long taied lizards and anoles are not long lived either.

My local pet shop has some tiny sand geckos which are adults. They are about 1.5 cm long and won't any bigger. They have short lifespans too, and there is not a single caresheet on them anywhere.

As Mizzely said, adopting an older reptile is a great idea. There are so many out there that need new homes where owners can't keep them anymore, and there is even a rescue in the UK dedicated to reptiles!
What in goodness sake do you feed a creature that is only 1.5 cm long?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Chameleons have notoriously short lifespans in captivity, but I suspect this is due to poor husbandry and difficulty meeting their unique needs, rather than a naturally short-lived nature.

Small mass-produced lizards, like green anoles, would probably be your safest bet for a lizard that is not likely to survive for that many years, no matter what you do for them. They are also a relatively easy reptile for a first time owner.

On this list of short lived pets, the only reptile is the chameleon, but I would not recommend them for your first lizard. They are fragile and have very specific care requirements.

Personally, if you absolutely must have a short-lived pet, I would not get a reptile. With proper care, most species will live much longer than 5 years and your choices will be very limited.

If you really want to have a reptile, but don't want one that will live forever, there are many options if you are able to commit to something in the 10 to 15 year range. Bearded dragons are my personal favorite recommendation for a good beginner lizard. Easy care requirements, easy to hand tame, big but not too big, and unlikely to live longer than 10-15 years.
I saw that website, but didn't link it, as it seemed to me to have quite a bit of false information. An African pygmy hedgehog that only lives to 5 either became unfortunately ill or was cared for properly

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I saw that website, but didn't link it, as it seemed to me to have quite a bit of false information. An African pygmy hedgehog that only lives to 5 either became unfortunately ill or was cared for properly
I read it too, even before Destiny linked it, and I was suspicious about that as well. :chin:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chameleons don’t live much past 5-7 years, but they are cranky little buggers, and very delicate. We have one (I think he’s a panther chameleon) and my wife is forever fussing over everything with him - food, humidity, lighting, his plants, the proper balance in his little bioactive habitat.

I have a leopard gecko and she is very chill and pretty easy to care for, but they do tend to live quite a while longer than you’re looking for - unless you adopt an older one.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woah woah woah! You can say something like that without posting a picture
I don’t have many! This one is from 2.5 months ago when he really didn’t have any color to speak of (and he’s asleep). He’s just a baby. :) I’ll try to get a more recent picture of him.

82928FB6-FF07-4AAB-9DF5-5FB0AC00E3A9.jpeg