• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reptile heat lamps that are parrot safe?

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post this thread! I have a green cheek Conure and my boyfriend, who I live with, has been wanting a bearded dragon for a while now. I just have a few questions for anyone on here who has experience with keeping both bearded dragons/other similar reptiles and parrots in the same house!

I’m always terrified of bringing things into the house that could harm my Momiji - does anyone have any links or r suggestions for parrot safe heating lamps/elements that would be needed for a bearded dragon?

Second, I know all animals can carry different diseases. I read that lizards can carry a bacteria that can be very harmful to birds so I’m a bit scared. Will it be okay as long as we wash our hands and keep them in different rooms? My parrot is mostly on the top 2 floors of the house and the bearded dragon would be with us in the basement and we would never plan on putting them in the same room.

Thanks so much for reading/answering!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Using a radiant heat panel or radiant heat lamp is generally the safest for all reptiles (on a thermostat, always have a thermostat). The panel is safest when it comes to birds because it doesn’t get burn-your-skin-off hot. What do you keep your beardie in? Tank? Or an Animal Plastics-style enclosure?

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Using a radiant heat panel or radiant heat lamp is generally the safest for all reptiles (on a thermostat, always have a thermostat). The panel is safest when it comes to birds because it doesn’t get burn-your-skin-off hot. What do you keep your beardie in? Tank? Or an Animal Plastics-style enclosure?
We actually don’t have the bearded dragon yet, I’ve been putting it off because I wanted to make sure I had the right info before bringing one into the house with Momo (Conure)! We plan on getting a glass tank when we do, though!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have Arcadia deep heat projector for my leopard geckos with thermostat to keep heat at same temperature and haven’t had a problem

just make sure you wash your hands after handling any reptile

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My parrot is mostly on the top 2 floors of the house and the bearded dragon would be with us in the basement
Would your bird not get lonely up there on their own? Just a thought (obviously I don´t know your routines etc)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No, Reptile lights are not meant for birds, Reptile lamps are not safe for birds and should never be used. They can hurt your birds’ eyes. Since birds need the right type of light.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No, Reptile lights are not meant for birds, Reptile lamps are not safe for birds and should never be used. They can hurt your birds’ eyes. Since birds need the right type of light, the Zoo Med lamps are specially designed for birds, as long as they’re kept in a safe place.
I believe OP means, in close proximity - they don´t have any intentions of putting their bird under the light.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Would your bird not get lonely up there on their own? Just a thought (obviously I don´t know your routines etc)
Oh sorry, my post was a little confusing there - That’s just where we sleep, and we live with my parents currently so there’s pretty much always someone hanging out with her during the day! Her room is on the top floor of the house where she sleeps/stays if we have to go out and then we bring her down to the living room when she wakes up :) I just meant the lizard would not be in the same room/floor as her!

Last edited:

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
I have Arcadia deep heat projector for my leopard geckos with thermostat to keep heat at same temperature and haven’t had a problem

just make sure you wash your hands after handling any reptile
this is very helpful, I look into that! Thank you!

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
If you need help with a set up, feel free to ask! I’ve kept various species of reptiles for… gosh, nearly 20 years now…

Excuse me while I go find my wallet, I suddenly feel ancient :rofl:
Haha I really appreciate that, thank you! I heard ceramic heat lamps are the safest to use when you have birds in the same house but I’m just not sure if there’s certain brands that would be better or if there’s any I should avoid. Definitely don’t wanna bring anything into the house that could harm her!

I also live in Canada so I’m not sure if certain brands will be available to me or not!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely has an adorable Leopard Gecko and a Jardines but I'm not sure if they are in the same room or have been previously.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have used a ceramic heat emitter in the past and keep them as a standby. Right now I'm using a deep heat projector with a Herpstat... Does a lot more efficient heating than my old combo of a CHE with an Inkbird. Pulse proportional and dimming thermostats will give you better control over the heat and make your bulbs last longer than an on/off thermostat, and on/offs shouldn't be used with a lighted heat source.

Things to be aware of with some bulbs, especially those not marketed for reptiles - some do have a Teflon coating. So be on the lookout for that.

All heat bulbs should have a ceramic socket in an appropriate lamp rated at or above the max wattage of the bulb.

Zoo Med, ExoTerra, and Arcadia are the main brands I tend to use.

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
I believe OP means, in close proximity - they don´t have any intentions of putting their bird under the light.
Let's try it this way. My Beardie is in the next room. The GCC does not want PTFE around. Which basking bulb make/ model (for the lizard in the next room) will not emit fumes to the birdie in the other room. Please speak to a safe bulb or brand. Preferably a basking bulb- not a plain white one. This is for daytime basking not night warmth.
:think1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Let's try it this way. My Beardie is in the next room. The GCC does not want PTFE around. Which basking bulb make/ model (for the lizard in the next room) will not emit fumes to the birdie in the other room. Please speak to a safe bulb or brand. Preferably a basking bulb- not a plain white one. This is for daytime basking not night warmth.
:think1:
Zoo Med, ExoTerra, and Arcadia are the main brands I tend to use.

Anarchyve

Checking out the neighborhood
I'd suggest looking for ceramic heat emitters or infrared bulbs. These options provide heat without emitting light, which can be less stimulating for your parrot.