• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

repeated exposure to reduce fears?

Celia58

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Just curious how to deal with skittish birds.
I put branches in the tiels cage and theyve never been scared of them, they are rarely scared of anything actually,I guess they are more naturally brave birds.They will strip the branches down to nothing in an hour..The greencheek isnt scared usually either but may chose to snub it.

.But the other birds are different story.
My budgies are afraid of not only branches but millet spray and greens(food). But love their toys(which is odd since toys should be scarier with all the colors.).
The Sun conure screamed for an hour because of the new branch in his cage(you'd think a bird would love branches).So I took it out.He hates anything new but at least the budgies dont scream about it.
Should I push them a bit with their fears? I would think the more new stuff they are subjected too the more they would get used to new things right??

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Many people will leave news toys/perches insight but across the room from the fearful bird and slowly over a weeks time, bring the objects closer to the birds.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
start by putting the object at a comfortable distance (where they seem comfortable) and leave it for a day or 2
then move it forward as far as they will allow and so that they still seem happy , if they freak out move it back until they calm down
do this until you can get it next to their cage then put treats on the object so that they associate it with good things
through the whole process offer loads of praise and treats etc.:)
it can take anywhere between a week and a few months depending on the bird :hug8:
this is how i do it , maybe someone else will come with another suggestion :D

abcdevonn

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Devon
Wondering if this process could be used for harnesses as well since my little butthead is deathly afraid of her harness.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
With my two it depends on what it is. Usually if it is a new toy, they don't usually get scared of it unless it is really big. With perches and rope toys sometimes they are ok with them and sometimes I just have to tell them "Look" and show it to them.

solo

Real Name
jess
Wondering if this process could be used for harnesses as well since my little butthead is deathly afraid of her harness.
i'm pretty sure it would work :) it would be worth a try :hug8:
i have been working with my 2 on a carrier for 2 months and today they both put a foot into it :dance4::dance5:
i started with it about 5 meters away :dance4::dancing:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
start by putting the object at a comfortable distance (where they seem comfortable) and leave it for a day or 2
then move it forward as far as they will allow and so that they still seem happy , if they freak out move it back until they calm down
do this until you can get it next to their cage then put treats on the object so that they associate it with good things
through the whole process offer loads of praise and treats etc.:)
it can take anywhere between a week and a few months depending on the bird :hug8:
this is how i do it , maybe someone else will come with another suggestion :D
I agree wholeheartedly. The minute they show discomfort move it back to where they are comfortable again.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
i'm pretty sure it would work :) it would be worth a try :hug8:
i have been working with my 2 on a carrier for 2 months and today they both put a foot into it :dance4::dance5:
i started with it about 5 meters away :dance4::dancing:
Awesome! Congrats! :laughing12::laughing12::laughing12:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Gizmo was pretty terrified of sticks when she got here. I put a wood perch across the room from her, then brought it closer by a few feet every week. Finally, I attached it to the side if her cage, outside where I'd want it to be when I put it inside. I left it there for a month, and then let her watch me flip it to the inside. She still avoided it for another month, but finally she decided she liked it, and destroyed most of it :)

So, it can take a while! I can get her to accept most toys now within 2 weeks, but new perches still take a good month or more.

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
Thanks, I wonder how long it will take.

Kiwimommy

Walking the driveway
Shoji was given to us with the warning that he was TERRIFIED of everything. He's still pretty skittish about certain very odd things like spoons, random toys I pick up when cleaning up after my kids and other odds and ends but I find he's more apt to go touch them if he's wandering around his usual areas and there's a "new thing" in that area. If it doesn't move, it's much less scary. Budgies on the other hand I am convinced are just plain terrified of anything new. It's a give in. They adjust quickly though, thankfully. My budgies will throw mini fits over ANYTHING new, then the next day they're all over it. For example, I put in a small cage bottom in their big cage and filled it some with coconut fiber bedding (it almost looks like dirt, but feels softer) and sprinkled seed over it for foraging to keep them occupied and they were horrified. Next day the seeds were all gone and they've used it ever since.

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
Im hoping the budgies will come around.Here is nice pic of them.They love each other dearly.

I tried to get a pic of Nacho and he fluffed up so big I thought something was wrong at first.I knew they could do the cobra dance but never saw them completely fluffed with wings out and doing that dance.It was very intimidating, which Im sure he was going for.:D
Hes been very jumpy last few days.But we have had a thunderstorm every single night for two weeks now.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
What I do with mine is put the new thing ( toy or perch) in the cage and see how they react to it. If they are a little scare or surprised I leave it, and they come around in a day or a couple hours. If the thing terrifies them stiff I take it out. Like for example red stuff is a no no - food or toys. Red is unacceptable. I don't force them to accept things they are terrified of but I do introduce new stuff very often so they get used to change, I switch the perches around and the playgym etc.

Sent from my tablet Fnac 8 using Tapatalk 4

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i tried this method with my macaw and his harness. i spent almost a year (tho not precisely, consistently). he was still afraid of it. it took me trying it on myself for him to finally believe it was safe and let me put it on him:

apr2011004.jpg

he put it on after i took this pic and went outside with me. :heart:

btw, i've found with some new things all i have to do is rub it on my face and make it look fun.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many parakeets are not hand raised. If you purchased a parakeet at one of the known pet stores like I did some stay wild. Kaytee has a farm in Fla. where they raise parakeets who most likely never even see a human face or hand. No wonder they are so afraid when we get them. I would not try to push any bird, the gradual, gentle exposure is best like others have suggested. Parakeets do seem to respond to greens hung with a clip from the top of the cage. They like them wet too and often will take a bath with them.