• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Repeated Eating and Head bobbing in Parakeet

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi my sister (bird named Kony) is sick at the moment but the vet gave us medicine to give her and its been a week with her taking it and it was because she was dehydrated but I have no idea HOW she could have been when she has water. Tonight she keeps bobbing her head as if shes regurgitating food and then going back to her food eating more then doing the regurgitating motion as if she was going to throw up but shes not. Im really concerned as this is what she did after she threw up the first time and we took her to the vet. The vet is closed and I have no idea what to do please help.
Update: she also starts tweeting as if happy but if I take my eyes off of her she does the food eating and bobbing head motion again and Im scared.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
bumping for better visibility

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The head bobbing in a budgie can be a sign of avian gastric yeast, infection in crop or reguratating food because she is hormonal. What did the vet do and was there any medication prescribed? How old is the budgie? Is the vet open today or do you have an emergency clinic to take the bird to? We need more information please. Also where does your sister live so we can help you find vet care? @Ripshod @Birdbabe

redrose27

Strolling the yard
The head bobbing in a budgie can be a sign of avian gastric yeast, infection in crop or reguratating food because she is hormonal. What did the vet do and was there any medication prescribed? How old is the budgie? Is the vet open today or do you have an emergency clinic to take the bird to? We need more information please. Also where does your sister live so we can help you find vet care? @Ripshod @Birdbabe
The vet prescribed Flagyl and Baytril with difflucan. They also gave her two medicines to put in her water called Herbal Complex, one is for liver inflammation and the other says GI drops. We normally go to Backos Bird Clinic its the only avian vet close to us so we dont really have any other choice. Shes 11 years old. But I call her a she but shes actually male but if I call her a he she gets this offended look on her face so I never dared to do it again. The vet also had her stay overnight because she was dehydrated as she had high red blood cell count but I have no idea how it could have happend when she has water. He said it could have been a toy in her cage that looked rusty (a bell) so we took that out and anything like it.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It sounds like she's just struggling with the medications. Baytril is just a mild antibiotic but in combination with metronidazole is really quite effective. Did you get a proper diagnosis? Metronidazole is highly effective for intestinal parasites including Giardia. Keep giving the medications until the full course is complete but I feel a telephone conversation with the vet would be beneficial for you both. If she gets worse and starts vomiting she needs to go straight in.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
It sounds like she's just struggling with the medications. Baytril is just a mild antibiotic but in combination with metronidazole is really quite effective. Did you get a proper diagnosis? Metronidazole is highly effective for intestinal parasites including Giardia. Keep giving the medications until the full course is complete but I feel a telephone conversation with the vet would be beneficial for you both. If she gets worse and starts vomiting she needs to go straight in.
He looked at her stool and did blood work I dont think he really finished looking at her before diagnosing her. Im definietly going to call and ask but I may not be able to bring her there untill I sort something else out. The vet is expencive (around $160 USD for a full examination) and then the cost for medicine. I cant keep paying that so im asking my parents about pet insurance to see if that can help with the cost.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How are things going?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
How are things going?
I did some reaserch on the medicine the vet perscribed her and according to another avian certified vet its used to treat fungle infections in the stomache things similar to avian yeast disease (I forgot the exact name) and she dosent seem to be doing the head bobbing now but I did get her a new small mirror (she needs a new cage and toys im avoiding toys with metal) and she is a lot happier with the mirror. (I think she regurgitated a tiny bit on the mirror). I didnt get a chance to call the vet but I will tomorrow to ask about the medicine and what he exactly found wrong with her. I did find out that a side effect of the medicine is vomiting. Which kind of sounds like back tracking to the original issue.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Is she regurgitating or vomiting?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Is she regurgitating or vomiting?
She regurgitated at the mirror I belive but when she does it no seeds come out its always just a clear liquid. It left the same stains I always see on her old mirrors. As if someone put drippy drops on the mirror and let it dry there so it leaves a mark. The reason shes on the medicine right now is because she vomited and I took her to the vet.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
She regurgitated at the mirror I belive but when she does it no seeds come out its always just a clear liquid. It left the same stains I always see on her old mirrors. As if someone put drippy drops on the mirror and let it dry there so it leaves a mark. The reason shes on the medicine right now is because she vomited and I took her to the vet.
It is good that no seeds come out actually. Clear liquid. Mmm Baylee was regurgitating a lot lately (with no content coming out at all but she had a bacterial infection and with treatment she is almost not regurgitating at all she went from 10 times a day to 2 times a day) the vet is the only that can tell you what the clear liquid means cause it could be a side effect of the antibiotic or from the herbal medicine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When my budgie that died from AGY first showed symptoms he flinged clear liquid all over the cage. Good idea to ask vet what the exact diagnosis is called.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
When my budgie that died from AGY first showed symptoms he flinged clear liquid all over the cage. Good idea to ask vet what the exact diagnosis is called.
Ill be sure to ask over the phone and mention that she did the regurgitating motion but I never see anything coming out and how she would eat food and then do it again untill I give her water and then she stopps for a while. I only noticed her doing it last night though so I need to see what happens tonight. But I will be sure to call and mention Avian Gastric Yeast (I think thats what its called the acronym AGY if not please tell me).