• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rem Update and Issues

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everybody!

I posted about my green cheek Remmy who sustained a traumatic brain injury about a week ago, so heres a bit of an update and a few more questions!

Remmy is doing somewhat better. He's on painkillers which are helping, and his personality seems to be coming back slowly but surely. He has up and down days. Today is a down day. His feet just aren't cooperating, and he can't do much more than stumble a few steps. There are days that he can navigate his temporary cage without falling all that much, even take a venture out on my floor for a bit. He's a lot happier then.

I had to clip his wings as he kept trying to fly, and I can tell with that added to everything, he's pretty depressed. I don't know if this is normal, but even his sounds are different. He's slowly started talking again, but his voice had changed? He still says "thank you" when I kiss him, just...different. I'm just glad he's alive, and feels stable.

Now the problems. These things are never convenient, but this has come at a really unfortunate time. I just left my job a week before it happened, due to a hostile work environment, and I am needing to move soon, out of state. My bank account it definitely feeling it. So are my stress levels.

I know it's kind of early to get him set up in a permanent cage, since I'm not sure how his mobility will be long term, but I'd feel better if I at least had a plan for one. I was originally thinking about a critter nation cage lined with fleece and such, but they are just so expensive. I'm keeping an eye on my local craigslist for used ones, but the ones I see are multi level an still expensive. My other two birds are upset since they aren't getting their normal amount of attention. Still out everyday, but having them with Remmy upsets him. Sam doesn't get along with him all that well to begin with, and Frankie loves him, but gets in his face a bit too much right now. I think she's worried.

I don't have a place lined up yet (I did and it fell through), so I have a bit of time. I'm trying to catch odd jobs, but since I'll be leaving the area soon, I can't get a steady well paying job.

That's the basics of it.

(My favorite picture of Remmy, from a year or two ago)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so sorry poor Remmy has found himself in such a tough spot. Poor little dude. I have never had a parrot with a head injury so I do not have any advice from experience. My hen had a concussion from a magpie attack, but that was less serious than when it sounds like Remmy is dealing with. She was back to her old self in a week.

A big concern short term is water access. I would avoid using any water dish that is deep and he could stumble into without having the mobility to get out.

I want to wish him a peaceful and comfortable recovery. I feel very bad for all of his stresses. :sadhug:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I honestly wouldn't be looking at more permanent cage solutions for another couple months at least, because you may not need them. Can you post pics of his temp cage and regular cage? That might help give me ideas of how to adapt things. I'm glad he got pain meds!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Big hugs for you and Remmy!!! :sadhug2:I hope he continues to improve.

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I honestly wouldn't be looking at more permanent cage solutions for another couple months at least, because you may not need them. Can you post pics of his temp cage and regular cage? That might help give me ideas of how to adapt things. I'm glad he got pain meds!

The main reason I'd want some permanent or semi-permanent is since I'm moving...Adjusting to a new environment in a what he's in...I just have a feeling it would be stressful. I'll post of picture of his temp cage once I'm cleaned it for the day haha. His main cage is very similar to this Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx F050 Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage, X-Large, Hammertone Black : Prevue Bird Cages : Pet Supplies just with sturdier bars and build. I got it years ago from a bird show so I couldn't find the exact one. He's also quite an active little guy, even injured he's enjoying giving me a heart attack by trying to run and then immediately falling o_O Of course I'm glad he's still got some of his energy, though it wears him out really quickly when he does things like that, but I can tell the cramped space is getting to him mentally. I'm doing some thinking on something semi-permanent that won't break the bank but haven't come up with anything just yet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does he share his regular cage?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would work on adapting the bottom of it for him rather than buying a new cage. Have you tried him in it at all to see how he'll act?

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I would work on adapting the bottom of it for him rather than buying a new cage. Have you tried him in it at all to see how he'll act?
Yeah, he got really freaked about being so low with so much open space up top and started climbing (dragging himself with his beak more than anything) and almost fell. (I grabbed him when I saw him struggling so much.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay. So I don't actually think it's bad that he's trying to climb, because that will help rehab his feet. But you do need to make it safe for him. So you have two choices, basically: You can either pad the bottom with fleece/towels and put in some ramps and platforms, or you can make a false bottom for the cage. I know others here have gone the false bottom route, but I can't easily search and link from my phone. Either way, if I were you, I'd invest the time and money in adapting the current cage rather than buying a new one. That's because his needs are likely to change rapidly over the next few months, so it's better to have pieces of equipment like platforms and ramps that can be reconfigured when he's ready to progress.

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
I agree with above. maybe put a bottom in the cage cutting it in 2 for him and add platforms so its short falls when he does fall.
My boy used to fall a lot but would eat anything I put on the bottom to catch him so perches and stuff he could fall on/catch himself on was my only option. Stuff like this(not the exact items just looked up items to link like stuff I've used)
Also along with padding the bottom of the cage cardboard is something I tried using. that way it wasn't the bars he fell on and he could chew at it all he wanted.

He's in a stacked 1 cage on top of another "parrot breeding?" type cage has its just as long and wide as most larger parrot cages but half the height. I don't even use the bottom of the cage really. It was used a a temporary kitten cage once we we had a baby we need to hand feed.

I keep thinking I'd like to get my boy a nicer cage but keep turning the idea down as though this one has the whole wasted bottom cage he has the width and length he would get with a real parrot cage and the height that works well for him without me worrying much if he falls. He still likes to scare me time to top though and jump from his cage(its the top half) to the floor to follow me around. Hasn't hurt himself doing so but i don't want him to do so. just trying to say I guess that more boy is a strong boy that after about 9 years now doen't mind taken a fall (I try to stop it and lessen it as much as I can). It used to be worse when his wing would break open and bleed all over when he would fall or even flap to much(2 vet trips to some leaser to help healing seemed to fix the bleeding). Now it's healed and hes older he a little more like a normal bird. His wing(1 is about half a wing) and leg(1 claw and only 2 full toes on the other claw) are his problem he was either born with defects or attacked by his parents as a baby.