• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reluctant Bather

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Jedi HATES baths. I just spent nearly 30 minutes helping him with his pinfeathers, and when I was done, he had pinfeather dust all over him and smelled kinda gross. I offered him both a bowl of water as well as a spray bath, but he still refused. Eventually I just sprayed him down despite him walking away from me the whole time. At least he's starting to preen now, but are there any suggestions on how to get him to bathe more? How often should a lovebird be bathing?

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
How long have you had Jedi? Tibs came to me similarly, he goes with me into the shower and gets humidity that way, he doesn't got into the water and hangs out on his perch but the warm mist created by the shower is good. I ended up leaving a water bowl in his cage and he's started to bathe a bit himself in it at last. The smell is concerning though. Even when Tibs was in the shop and didn't have access to baths he never smelled bad. Hopefully someone comes along who can advise you, what does Jedi smell like? That in itself would worry me but, I know very little about lovebirds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sometimes it's about presentation. I had one Quaker that wanted nothing more than a 4 inch wide bowl with an inch of water, while one needed COLD water, Half inch deep, in a giant 14" saucer. So vary the water, bowl type, etc :)

Many birds also like to bathe when their is a vacuum running, so you can try that also.

As for how often, that is also dependent on the bird. I've had birds that like 3 baths a week, and others that do it once every couple months.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
How long have you had Jedi? Tibs came to me similarly, he goes with me into the shower and gets humidity that way, he doesn't got into the water and hangs out on his perch but the warm mist created by the shower is good. I ended up leaving a water bowl in his cage and he's started to bathe a bit himself in it at last. The smell is concerning though. Even when Tibs was in the shop and didn't have access to baths he never smelled bad. Hopefully someone comes along who can advise you, what does Jedi smell like? That in itself would worry me but, I know very little about lovebirds.
I've had Jedi for about a year and a half. His smell is hard to describe; it's kind of like a musty smell, mainly after I've been helping remove the pinfeathers. I thought it was just a normal birdie smell, and it goes away after a bath.

I've thought about the shower, but I'm a little worried about letting him in there with soap. Do you just put the perch high enough so that isn't an issue?

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes it's about presentation. I had one Quaker that wanted nothing more than a 4 inch wide bowl with an inch of water, while one needed COLD water, Half inch deep, in a giant 14" saucer. So vary the water, bowl type, etc :)

Many birds also like to bathe when their is a vacuum running, so you can try that also.

As for how often, that is also dependent on the bird. I've had birds that like 3 baths a week, and others that do it once every couple months.
I'll try the vacuum, I've never even thought of that! The only time Jedi has bathed was in his water dish, which is always in there.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I've had Jedi for about a year and a half. His smell is hard to describe; it's kind of like a musty smell, mainly after I've been helping remove the pinfeathers. I thought it was just a normal birdie smell, and it goes away after a bath.
I've thought about the shower, but I'm a little worried about letting him in there with soap. Do you just put the perch high enough so that isn't an issue?

Ahh okay, I was worried that it was a particularly bad smell.
I put his perch around eye-level for me, not directly in the water but close to it. It's away from my soaps and things so he can't get to them. I never had an issue with him trying to mess with it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My birds smell musky after a bath.

Have you tried running the tap? I like to lay a dishcloth on the draining board and put the tap on very slightly so only a little water comes out. Other times, they (Mainly Sydney) likes it if I cup my hands under the tap so it fills with water, then bathe in my hand.

For first baths, as an introduction, I have the bird in my hand, and lower it into a shallow dish with a little room temp water and tap the water a little so they see it is water. I know it won´t be your birds first ever bath, but still worth a shot :)
I know it seems so simple on the video, she took to it right away on the first try! With other birds it took a few goes.

Also worth mentioning, my birds like to bathe out of the cage. Sometimes they bathe in their water bowls but not often.
All of my birds hate misting. And I´ve never showered with them.

When the weather is very hot, birds bathe to cool down and regulate body temp.
So when it is very hot, or your bird is moulting or plucking, it´s nice to keep a bath available or offer a bath daily.

AbnormalAvian

Meeting neighbors
My birds smell musky after a bath.

Have you tried running the tap? I like to lay a dishcloth on the draining board and put the tap on very slightly so only a little water comes out. Other times, they (Mainly Sydney) likes it if I cup my hands under the tap so it fills with water, then bathe in my hand.

For first baths, as an introduction, I have the bird in my hand, and lower it into a shallow dish with a little room temp water and tap the water a little so they see it is water. I know it won´t be your birds first ever bath, but still worth a shot :)
I know it seems so simple on the video, she took to it right away on the first try! With other birds it took a few goes.

Also worth mentioning, my birds like to bathe out of the cage. Sometimes they bathe in their water bowls but not often.
All of my birds hate misting. And I´ve never showered with them.

When the weather is very hot, birds bathe to cool down and regulate body temp.
So when it is very hot, or your bird is moulting or plucking, it´s nice to keep a bath available or offer a bath daily.
Thanks for the suggestions! And my house tends to be on the cooler side (69-73°F), so that may contribute a bit to his reluctance.