• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming?

neenoo1490

Moving in
Real Name
Roxy
A while back, as some may know, I took in a budgie, she was extremely scared then, and I thought over time she would become less scared, but i can't even scratch my leg on the other side of the room without her panicking. I haven't done anything to scare her, and I read to her everyday, she'es calm with me being by her cage, she'll even close her eyes and life one foot up, but as soon as I move, she becomes scared. I've tried tempting her with food but she just looked at me like i'm an idiot. She's 2 and a bit years old. I was considering rehoming her to someone a lot more experienced than me but I love her so very much it hurts when i think about not having her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Why not just get her a bird friend? Budgies often feel much safer which makes them much happier and more stable- I vote for getting her a friend, I bet you will see a different bird if she has another Budgie to hang out with.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Why not just get her a bird friend? Budgies often feel much safer which makes them much happier and more stable- I vote for getting her a friend, I bet you will see a different bird if she has another Budgie to hang out with.
Absolutely agree with this. Some budgies just need another of their own kind. It doesn't mean that they don't accept you, it just means that they would feel much more at ease with you if they had a friend of their own kind.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is what i would also suggest. She may remain wild but at least she can thrive with another budgie friend. You may need a larger cage and more toys. Can you show us some photos?

Dorcas George

Another vote for getting a second bird. Packer, the green/yellow one in the picture was just skittish and scared and unhappy no matter what, and then I got Frost. I am not sure Packer will ever really be tame. He’s still a bit skittish, but much less, and he’s a happy birdy.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Also, how long is a "while?" My cockatiel came to me with that level of fear. It's been a year and change, and he's only now starting to get comfortable around us. Bird time is agonizingly slow. Charlie has claimed the ceiling fans as his own, and spends most of the day up there, where he can see everything and nobody can reach him (we have high ceilings). He seems content, and the flying up and down is really good exercise, so we just let him do his thing.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Besides all the advice given of getting a buddy which I agree with, answer us this. Who would love this bird more, consider this bird's feelings more or look after it better than you? NO ONE. You are seeking help and that says a lot. We look after them with our heart and do the best we can. Does she have a name? She deserves you.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Birds pick who they pick and if they have lots of baggage it can take a long time for them to decide your trustworthy. I agree on the friend to help her get comfortable and if the new friend likes you she'll see by example that you are trustworthy and probably eventually come over to see what you two are doing. If nothing else having a flock mate should make her happy provided they get along. The fact you can sit close to her and she puts a foot away and goes to sleep means she trusts you because she certainly wouldn't do that if she didn't feel it was safe to do around you. I used to announce myself when I was entering the room or moving around him to give him fair warning something was happening. Maybe when you move quietly say I'm moving birdy or whatever works so she doesn't get startled out of a deep sleep or getting used to you being there and not moving much.
A lot of good advice here and I'm sure you can get to some agreement with each other and she'll be sticking around.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I will agree that a sole bird can be a challenge. They can also steal your heart if you give them the respect that they deserve. Birds do not tame easily. You need to put in the time. If she is ok to sleep near you then she has trust in you. What are you expecting of her? All birds will react with fear if you make a sudden movement. Thatt is inherint in them. So take the time to earn their trust. A bird who decides to be with you or even to relax when you are near is a huge thing. Be omplimented...