• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming Young Lovebird

halcyon

Checking out the neighborhood
I am trying to find a forever home around Washington for my lovebird named Halcyon, that's almost a year old now. She was given to me in an abusive home situation by my abuser, and my mental state has prevented me from training her properly. I was extremely excited about getting her, but wholly unprepared to take on a bird in my senior year at University. I'm starting grad school this year, I just moved out from that abusive household, and I'm working through PTSD and a long line of emotional trauma. I simply cannot handle taking care of her as she deserves. It breaks my heart to pieces that I have to give her up, but she's not getting the attention or care that she needs and my own mental health and academia are not conducive to taking care of anyone but myself right now.

All this being said, she's a wonderful character. She hates hands and fingers, but she loves riding on shoulders and heads. Her favorite place in the world is right on top of anyone's head, pruning away. She's been on my head for hours and been totally fine as I cleaned and went about my day. The taller the better, which is probably why she tends to lean towards men but she likes snuggling in my hair at my shoulder when she's nervous. She LOVES chittering and talking to the birds outside. She's copied up to 4 bird patterns outside, chitters like a monkey and makes kissy noises, and says "Peekaboo!" and "pretty bird!". This happens most when she realizes that it's "birdy bedtime" and she wants to be sooo cute that she doesn't have to go to bed. She especially says peekaboo around new things that she's tentative about and will trust it more if you say peekaboo back. She's very picky about her food. She only eats orange or red pellets and sunflower seeds. You have to watch her around plants though, she loves to eat dirt! She's very possessive of her cage and electronics. We can't use our phones or computers when she's out because she attacks any fingers that come ever near the computer. She does bite on occasion because she's a charming combination of sassy and nervous, but she's only drawn blood once. She thrives when she's out of her cage for hours of the day, and gets anxious and aggressive when she's in for a while. When I haven't been able to take her out for a while she starts to do loud piercing calls to the birds outside. I've actually heard her have conversations with them! She usually responds to Monkey, Chicken, Pretty Bird, and Peekaboo Baby.

Of course, there's so much more about her to learn and love if you'd like me to tell you more. She's truly an amazing animal with so much life and personality. I wish I could be better for her but I don't have the time or energy. I really want her to go to a home that understands birds more and has way more time for her. Message me if you'd like to set up an online meeting with her and we can go from there. Thank you for your time and understanding!

Attachments

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
She is quite beautiful! I wish I could get her! But alas I am not allowed to get any more birds. I hope she finds a good home soon!

Also is that her cage in the background of the photo of her on your shoulder? If so it is wayy too small for her and is probably the reason she hates staying in there. I suggest you get her a new cage even though you are wanting to re-home her.

Best of luck with finding a forever home!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You may want to include an area where you are.

Also, it would be good to inform whoever takes her home that she is a hybrid, just incase they are not well versed in lovebirds and are wanting to breed.

halcyon

Checking out the neighborhood
You may want to include an area where you are.

Also, it would be good to inform whoever takes her home that she is a hybrid, just incase they are not well versed in lovebirds and are wanting to breed.
I live in the Seattle area but I'm willing to drive her out within a few hours. Thank you!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am just so sorry for all that you've had to endure and to need to rehome your sweet girl on top of it must have been a hard, hard decision to make. First, I wish you every success as you move forward. May your life be filled with peace and joy! :)

I wish I could take her, but I live on the opposite coast, I'm afraid :( She is beautiful!! And she sounds like a real sweetheart!