• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming bonded sun conure and hahn’s macaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Man I wish I could help :arghh: I have dustball birds though. I'll reach out to a few peopleI know to see ifI can find a backup plan in case the rescue can't take them.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With any of the rescues, you would have to relinquish your birds to their care and sign an agreement doing so. Your sweet babies would be placed with a foster family for 30 days of quarantine and be seen by the rescue's vet. Once the quarantine period is over, your birds would be made available for adoption if there wasn't a 'foster fail'. I know you are wanting to find a home for them to go straight into, but that is not typically the case when relinquishing them to a parrot rescue. I can tell you that Companion Parrots Rehomed makes all their adopting families go through two education courses and either submit to a home inspection or submit photos of the proposed set up in their home. If they have existing birds, they must have a negative psittacosis test. Adopters must also submit a name of an avian or exotic vet they have contacted or have an existing relationship with.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, and by "foster fail" I mean that the foster family would love them so much that they would adopt the birds.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
With any of the rescues, you would have to relinquish your birds to their care and sign an agreement doing so. Your sweet babies would be placed with a foster family for 30 days of quarantine and be seen by the rescue's vet. Once the quarantine period is over, your birds would be made available for adoption if there wasn't a 'foster fail'. I know you are wanting to find a home for them to go straight into, but that is not typically the case when relinquishing them to a parrot rescue. I can tell you that Companion Parrots Rehomed makes all their adopting families go through two education courses and either submit to a home inspection or submit photos of the proposed set up in their home. If they have existing birds, they must have a negative psittacosis test. Adopters must also submit a name of an avian or exotic vet they have contacted or have an existing relationship with.
Yes, I understand how rescues operate. How the good ones do it, anyway. I would be happy with a well run rescue who would find a good placement for them or to find a family myself. Either way

AishaS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Aisha Schumann
Are you still looking to rehome Lucy & Mabel? Please send me a message. I am in central Florida and can easily provide a fantastic home for this pair. I am very very interested!

AishaS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Aisha Schumann
I REALLY hope that they are still available. I am currently in the market for a Hahn's macaw, but my husband really wants a sun conure. I came across this on AA. I feel like this is meant to be! Please pm me. I am new on AA so I cannot pm anybody yet.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Posting again to boost this because I still need help with my girls. I’ve reached out to everyone who has expressed interest on here, but so far nothing has worked out and the situation is getting desperate. My neurological issues have really deteriorated and I’m spending long stretches of time bed bound. Lucy is so distraught from being lonely and not getting enough out of cage time that she is now plucking all of her feathers.

I’ve reached out to every rescue anywhere even remotely close to me and nowhere has room. I tried posting on local pet adoption sites and facebook pages and only got responses from scammers and flippers or the kind of people you wouldn’t trust with a houseplant much less something as intelligent and sensitive as a parrot. Definitely no one I would allow near my babies. I really need help and I don’t know where else to turn.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear that they are still needing homes and things are getting harder. I really hope that someone wonderful will come forward to adopt them.
Have you tried Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of NM or even Ginger's Parrot rescue in AZ? I know recently several times parrots from across the country like from FL have had volunteers from her rescue come get them and drive them to AZ. She takes in more than just Senegals in certain instances I'd say its definitely worth a try to see.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There was a parrot club in Texas that hosted a seminar many years ago that I went to.

I'll see if I can find info. They should be within driving distance and maybe they have some thoughts.

Have you contacted your vet? Maybe they know someone that would be willing to adopt or even just foster while you search?

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A bunch of kind people have PMed me and I keep retyping the same thing over and over, so I’m just going to post this here.

I have spent dozens and dozens of hours contacting literally every single rescue within 300 miles of my house.

every single one has told me that
1) they are full to capacity
2) they don’t accept surrenders from out of state
or 3) they said right away they would take them, but when I investigated more into the organization, it was not a good place. More of a bird hoarder situation than a true rescue. Or even a couple that were actually flippers.

Unless someone has a friend at a rescue that could convince them to make an exception and take an out of state surrender, then I’m out of options as far as rescues go. I am on the surrenders waitlist at several places, but they all warned me that with the economy and housing prices the way they are right now that everyone is broke with precarious housing situations, so surrenders are at an all time high and adoptions at an all time low. I was told over and over that pretty much all rescues- dog, cat, bird- are bursting at the seams with animals so the surrender waitlists are looooooooong.

I have reached out to my vet and all of the other avian vets in my area. I haven’t gotten any bites from that route yet though.

If we get to the point that it’s a true emergency situation I will have to reconsider, but if at all possible I would like to avoid a foster situation. Like most birds, my girls are wary of unfamiliar people and places. And I would like to avoid stressing them out even more if I possibly can by not bouncing them around to multiple locations.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
There was a parrot club in Texas that hosted a seminar many years ago that I went to.

I'll see if I can find info. They should be within driving distance and maybe they have some thoughts.

Have you contacted your vet? Maybe they know someone that would be willing to adopt or even just foster while you search?
I will reach out to them if you find the contact info, but Texas isn’t driving distance from me. I’m in Atlanta. I googled it and the Easternmost border of Texas (the one closest to me) is 10 hours each way. That’s with no stops. There’s no way that I could physically endure 20+ hours in the car. My health is just not good enough. And that’s just the close side of Texas. The Western border is a 20 hr drive 1 way.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry to hear that they are still needing homes and things are getting harder. I really hope that someone wonderful will come forward to adopt them.
Have you tried Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of NM or even Ginger's Parrot rescue in AZ? I know recently several times parrots from across the country like from FL have had volunteers from her rescue come get them and drive them to AZ. She takes in more than just Senegals in certain instances I'd say its definitely worth a try to see.
I will call them today! I hadn’t reached out to either of those places because they are so incredibly far from me. But if they have some sort of long distance transport situation available, then maybe we could make it work!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I will call them today! I hadn’t reached out to either of those places because they are so incredibly far from me. But if they have some sort of long distance transport situation available, then maybe we could make it work!
I really hope one of them can help you or at least point you in the direction of someone who could. Anna of Macaw and Cockatoo used to be a member here.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sorry. It was back in 2012 that I went to the parrot festival. You are 100% correct, it is a far distance.

National Parrot Rescue & Preservation Foundation
6942 FM 1960 E #413
Humble, TX 77346

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I am sorry for your health troubles. I have off and on mobility and pain issues. My birds sometimes don’t get out as much as I’d like them to.

I wish I could help. Hahns macaws are great birds; ALL parrots are wonderful. But I don’t have a car and am nowhere near you.

I CAN tell you that birds can be flown on planes with a good health certificate. For the big Conure I took in, he flew in a modified small dog carrier. A hahns would definitely fit in that if you found someone online that could take either bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.