• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming Aro (Update: Not rehoming now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
As much as I hate to do this, the comments on my last post made it pretty clear to me that I'm not cut out to be a conure parent, no matter how much I love him, I don't think I can give Aro the proper care that he needs. I'm too skittish and he deserves someone who is confident like he is.

Aro is a Black capped conure, 6 years old. He isn't DNA tested but due to his behaviours he was assumed male. He is tame, just nervous around hands. I am currently working on changing him over to pellets, but we haven't really gotten too far into the process.

I don't think he's been homed with other birds before, but he can be kind of lonely even with me around him. He loves fruit, his favourite being strawberries, fresh veg wise he really likes peppers. honestly, I'm yet to find anything that he really dislikes.
He's friendly, he just needs a little time to warm up to people. He isnt loud, at least not for people who aren't sensitive to noise. He's really wary of perches that move, but is weirdly okay with swings? Just takes time to get used to things. He /hates/ the sound of plastic bags, but really likes other sounds (his favourite thing to do is play with an empty food bowl because he likes the noise it makes.)

He does have biting habits, so I'd really prefer him to go to a home with someone who's either had conures before, or has experience training birds. I won't respond to new users/people who haven't posted a lot to make sure that he goes to a home where he's safe and happy. Anyone inquiring must be comfortable with either a home check, or sending pictures of the cage he'll be homed in, and a few pictures of your home to be 100% that you're going to take care of him properly, I would also like to talk to you/get to know you as a person for at least a few weeks to be 100% sure you are going to take good care of him first. I will not rehome if I don't completely believe you're going to take care of him.

1670339388964.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I hope this is choice you made. Because you feel it's the best choice for you.

For me I'm trying to support you. If noise is too much , I understand. My mom is like others here who have mentioned that the non stop budgies chatter drives them nuts.

We all had to learn and adjust to parrots. Learn to read them. I hope nothing I've said has come across to you that I think you are an unfit parrot parent. I think the opposite! That you have been dedicated, thoughtful and caring.

We all fully support you both in re home. Or on working through adjustments of sharing life with a parrot .

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
you have to do what’s right for you

Pets4Homes is a good site to rehome him you can put all this information on there and make sure he goes to a good home where I got pico (rehome) and indie (breeder) from

I would have taken him but I don’t think hubby will let me have any more birds

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
I don't think I can delete posts on here,,which,,makes this feel kind of embarrassing now. But, hopefully if anything it'll show other people that giving up isn't the only option, and that this forum is full of such amazing people <3

I'm gonna explain better on my other post aside from this, but to be direct, I do not want to rehome him. This post was entirely made during a self doubting impulsive phase where I felt like I was doing very bad because I couldn't understand that the noise he makes is completely normal conure behaviour, and I felt bad, like I was doing bad at caring for him. I had a long think about stuff yesterday (today, technically), interacted with him, took @Pixiebeak's advice on trying to be more confidet when interacting, and it worked..Really well, actually. In fact, he didn't try to bite me at all today, and he even seemed more relaxed around me. Not once did he tell me to leave him alone or seem irritated by me. I think the exact moment I realised I was overreacting and that I could in fact do this was when I made him some sprouts, and he refused to eat any until I did first..It might sound kinda dumb, but that was the exact moment I realised that he does care for me, he views me as part of his family too, even if he's scared and nervous. I've made the choice. I can work around the loundness. It isn't his fault, he is wonderful and does not deserve to be abandoned just because of an issue that I have which can be easily remidied by wearing the headphones I already own for noise reduction. I won't give up on him. He deserves to have love put into him, and I am determind to give him that. If it still doesn't work out in a few months? We'll consider our options then. But right now? I am going to do everything I can in making sure he knows that he is loved, and safe, and will never be alone. No matter what it takes, I want him to be happy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please do post for any help you need @Tapew0rrm :)
I've locked this thread and updated the title to let folks know you're no longer rehoming Aro :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.