• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehoming African Grey

LindseyMul

Checking out the neighborhood
I am hoping to find a good home for my 36 year old African Grey. We live in Windsor CO, so finding a new home close by would be ideal. She is a great bird with many fun qualities…she’s more of a noises bird, but she does say “hello” and talks gibberish sometimes. She does the wolf whistle often, likes to whistle back and forth with you, likes music and will dance, makes a firework noise (with a crash), spins her head around in a 360 (will do this on command for a treat). I am rehoming her because I don’t have the time for her that she needs, and I’m also expecting a baby. My husband has also never been a fan of her. I’ve had her for 9 or 10 years and she does prefer females over males. It took a while for us to build trust, but once that’s established she will hang out on your shoulder, we do showers and I sprits her with aloe water (she does not like to be directly under running water), she likes head rubs, and she likes to fly (on my hand-I hold onto her feet) from her night time room to her main cage in the morning. She could probably be taught to free fly, but I just haven’t had the chance to teach her.
Her diet is very specific and will need to stay the same…her mood drastically changed when I got her off of Harrison’s pellets and started making Bird Tricks’ seasonal feeding system and feeding her their pellets. She’s very healthy and I would hate for someone to change her diet to something that will affect her in a negative way.
Since I adopted her, she has plucked. That has since slowed down a lot, but her feathers don’t seem to be growing back. Regular showering helps and keeping her active. She really is a great bird and I want to find her a home where she’ll get more interaction with her owner and more training (I use click training), and ideally an outdoor aviary space cuz she loves to be outside. It would also be cool for her to have a bird friend or 2.
Let me know if you’re interested. Serious inquiries only please.

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I wish I could, but I’m unfortunately a looooong way from you.

amy burke

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I am hoping to find a good home for my 36 year old African Grey. We live in Windsor CO, so finding a new home close by would be ideal. She is a great bird with many fun qualities…she’s more of a noises bird, but she does say “hello” and talks gibberish sometimes. She does the wolf whistle often, likes to whistle back and forth with you, likes music and will dance, makes a firework noise (with a crash), spins her head around in a 360 (will do this on command for a treat). I am rehoming her because I don’t have the time for her that she needs, and I’m also expecting a baby. My husband has also never been a fan of her. I’ve had her for 9 or 10 years and she does prefer females over males. It took a while for us to build trust, but once that’s established she will hang out on your shoulder, we do showers and I sprits her with aloe water (she does not like to be directly under running water), she likes head rubs, and she likes to fly (on my hand-I hold onto her feet) from her night time room to her main cage in the morning. She could probably be taught to free fly, but I just haven’t had the chance to teach her.
Her diet is very specific and will need to stay the same…her mood drastically changed when I got her off of Harrison’s pellets and started making Bird Tricks’ seasonal feeding system and feeding her their pellets. She’s very healthy and I would hate for someone to change her diet to something that will affect her in a negative way.
Since I adopted her, she has plucked. That has since slowed down a lot, but her feathers don’t seem to be growing back. Regular showering helps and keeping her active. She really is a great bird and I want to find her a home where she’ll get more interaction with her owner and more training (I use click training), and ideally an outdoor aviary space cuz she loves to be outside. It would also be cool for her to have a bird friend or 2.
Let me know if you’re interested. Serious inquiries only please.
Hey Lindsey

I am a veterinarian down in Parker. I rescued a grey when my died in her sleep. I had him for 6 years and it took a couple to get him adjusted to a bird friendly diet. He came with literal black bags of human junk food none of which I would even buy for my kids. He died so suddenly it was determined he had atherosclerosis and a heart attack. I was crushed. I’m still so sad I haven’t even announced it on Facebook where I had posted him doing all these foraging activities. He had a huge fan club. I really miss trying to outsmart a gray. Whatever I gave him to forage he beat me to it.

I would love to come meet her and you guys.
Let me know
Amy

LindseyMul

Hey Lindsey

I am a veterinarian down in Parker. I rescued a grey when my died in her sleep. I had him for 6 years and it took a couple to get him adjusted to a bird friendly diet. He came with literal black bags of human junk food none of which I would even buy for my kids. He died so suddenly it was determined he had atherosclerosis and a heart attack. I was crushed. I’m still so sad I haven’t even announced it on Facebook where I had posted him doing all these foraging activities. He had a huge fan club. I really miss trying to outsmart a gray. Whatever I gave him to forage he beat me to it.

Let me know
Amy
Hey Lindsey

Let me know
Amy
Hi Amy,
I am so sorry to hear of your Grey. Go ahead and text me at 970-690-0540 and we can chat!
Thanks,
Lindsey

LindseyMul

Hey Lindsey

Let me know
Amy
Are you still interested?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez