• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

rehoming 6 feral budgies due to family cancer diagnosis

belleice23

Checking out the neighborhood
hey everyone. i have had my 6 budgies for around 5-6 years now. they are ages from 3-5, 3 males 3 females. there are only 3 that are more “friendly” than the rest, yet they are not tame whatsoever and the rest are basically feral. all tested negative for psittacosis. i have struggled with my mental health for a long time, yet have been failing to meet my standards for proper bird care in the past year. yes they get food and water and toys, yet i highly struggle with remembering to let them out of their cage, supply proper enrichment, and having the motivation to clean their cage and take care of them and myself. i feel terrible not being able to give them to best life possible. i have been thinking about rehoming recently due to my sisters diagnosis of Leukemia. it has been absolutely terrible. i’ve been struggling enough as it is, yet now i feel like i have no other option than to rehome.

how would i go about rehoming them? they are all very bonded to each other and i would feel awful separating them, but will it make the search for the right home even more difficult? plus them being feral doesn’t help either. if you know anyone or any organizations i can reach out to, please let me know. they need to be in Massachusetts or at least in New England. thank you much

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A quick internet search shows several rescues in that area. I’ve heard of Foster Parrots. Not sure how far you could go, but @sunnysmom voluneeters with one in Pennsylvania, I believe.

Sorry to hear about your sister’s diagnosis.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry you are having a difficult time. You can try contacting local rescures. Honestly I don't know if they could guarantee keeping all 6 together. Our rescue at any given time has over 20 budgies. We realize that most of them will always be with us. What we have done is put together a large aviary where they all live together. I don't know what kind of set up you have but could something like that work for you? I don't have one myself but I understand they are actually easier to clean than regular cages and they can fly around and just be budgies.

david8775

Checking out the neighborhood
Sorry, dude. I lost a grandmother to cancer last year, so I know more or less what you're going through. Hoping for a speedy recovery.