• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Rehomed Quaker

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Hi all,

I rehomed a Quaker that was kept in a budgie cage and clipped. He cannot fly well and panics when he’s out. He doesn’t like to come out of the cage.
I put the cage in the room I work from home in and for most of the day he will just growl at me. Even while playing with his toys or eating.
I had to towel him to clean his cage out as the cage is so small he kept making the bowls fall when he stood on them.

he now has metal bowls and more toys but he continues to growl all day at me.

I guess I’m asking if anyone had a similar experience and how it worked out for you?

Attachments

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi and Welcome!

I don't own Quaker parrots, but will tag someone who does. Others will be along in a bit! @Mizzely

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you.
I just want to add he has a larger cage which is set up, but he’s too damn scared to check it out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had an untame quaker that I got as an adult.

You just need to give him as much time and patience as possible. Figure out what food he loves and put a piece in his cage every time you go by the cage. Try to handle him as little as possible. Give him a chance to learn you are not out to eat him ;)

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Took Lurch 5 years to slowly decide I was trustworthy and a friend but once he did he followed me around like a flying puppy so give him time to get used to you and his new life, he'll come around when he's ready.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you!
I’ve added a platform to the cage and realised pretty quickly he really enjoys bird peanut butter (luckily I was gonna throw it because my love bird hated it!) he went crazy for it. I know they can become overweight easily so I’ll take it easy with that and try some fresh fruit and veggies.

He kept coming to the cage door today so I left it open and attached a perch to the outside. He did go to the top of his cage and flew directly at me screaming but fell down the side of the chair. I left him to calm down but he wouldn’t move! He allowed me to gently pick him up and put him on his perch but obviously he’s still skittish.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If you can put a small perch on the inside of the door he can sit on it when he wants out & you can open the door so he can sit on it with the door open. It can also help him get back inside the cage.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
he has a three prong perch inside and the middle one is directly in front of the door so he sits on that. The other two lead to food and water and treats. I just wish he would head over to the bigger cage!

I went running in earlier because I heard a lot of screaming but he was holding the bell up to his face and shouting at it. I guess that’s a good sign!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Just try putting him in the new cage. You could put a bunch of his favorite peanut butter inside and make a big deal of doing it so he sees and gets excited to get it. Being in a new cage might help reset his aggressive tendencies when you change his cage and reset things between you two.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
I will! That’s a great idea.
Unfortunately the love bird is very curious and a little magician and can escape his cage very easily. He has been very interested in Yoshi and actually Yoshi mumbled at him, sounded like oinking. I’ve had to move sonic into my bedroom to let Yoshi settle although he isn’t growling at him, I don’t wish to over stimulate him at this point.

Attachments

Reactions: tjc

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
It's going to take time for him to trust you, keep at it...

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Yes of course.
He is growling when I’m not in the room so I know it’s not really me.
If I go in he will mumble and then go back to eating. If I leave the room then a few minutes later he is growling.
He doesn’t want touch or any physical attention and I respect his boundaries, but I hope this is a good sign? None the less I don’t want to come running every time he calls!