• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

rehomed greys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Are they as expensive as a baby? Is it cheaper to get a Grey from a shelter? Is that a good thing to get a grey from a shelter to give him a good home?

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Adopting a homeless Grey or any other species from a Rescue, is always a generous and wonderful thing to do. There are many, many, many birds of all species in rescues that are in need of homes. Particularly now, with the economy and loss of jobs, there are many birds without issues, available. They have simply been displaced due to job loss, etc.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
it really depends on where you look

You would think a older, bird some one has to give up would be "cheaper" than buying from a breeder but I've came across some that were 10 plus years old, (Some were severely plucked) and their "re-homing" fee was that of a weaned or fairly young grey from a breeder if not more! and some come with nothing but the bird and they want more than a breeder

but I would suggest looking around, Meeting as many as you can in person, don't just jump on the 1st one you find.

and i agree not all older birds have issues or come with "luggage" I have some that are great natured others are little snots but we love em' all the same no matter if they're young or old they're all my kids

of course I don't have a grey - BUT that is my dream bird and eventually I'll own one. but for me since it'll most likely be my 1st "bigger" bird (right now the biggest i have are Quakers and a Indian Ringneck) I do want mine as a baby or fairly young.

I've done the Older bird thing and not saying I won't do it again, but When it comes to a grey I won't.

Oh and I have had cockatoos I fostered but I personally never handled them I just talked to them and watched them play My b/f did all the handling and feeding (them beaks scared the living day lights out of me lol)

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
It hasn't been the first I looked at. I don't want a foul mouthed bird but I don't mind an older bird. I Have just been shopping around and jind that people want a lot of money for birds even if they are sick.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Any bird can turn into a foul mouthed bird lol
You just need to teach them different version of "the" word.
Having a larger bird, takes lots of patience and you have to be dedicated through the tough times which could be many things, like swearing, screaming, plucking, biting, etc...

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
From a legitimate rescue it should cost less and also give you a chance to interact with the bird one on one first.

Status
Not open for further replies.