• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehomed Cape Parrot

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
By the end of this week, i will be getting a rehomed Cape parrot. She is getting rehomed because she attacks her owner to the point of drawing blood. Ive known the bird since she was a baby. Shes two. Id cut her nails. Shes a friends bird. Just bit of her background. My question to every body .. should i switch cages right away? or let her adapt to my home THEN switch cages? Her current cage she'll be arriving in she has been in her whole life and is way to small for her. I have the perfect size cage for a Cape. I know african parrots are sensitive and weird sometimes neurotic. Recommendations? Shod i make it all a huge move at once new home and new cage? Or should i let her adapt to the home in her small cage then move her to a new cage after she adapts to the home?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a Jardine's which is also a Poicephalus. I like to get all the traumatic stuff out of the way asap. The cage Ripley came with was tiny and filthy, and didn't even come inside my house for a few weeks; he went straight into a new cage. I like to establish a new normal asap.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not certain if there’s a right way as each bird and situation is unique but I would go with making the change a total change for the better. My thinking is one bigger change is better than two or three smaller changes.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I feel the both of you are right. I agree. Get it all done at once. That way she can go thru chnge one time vs going thru it twice. Thank you

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
They adapt, get both out of the way up front. Before you know it they won't even miss their old cage and be eager to see their new surrounding. Don't worry, they adapt to change.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know african parrots are sensitive and weird sometimes neurotic.
This is, to my knowledge, mainly with african greys... and is actually due to being clipped at a young age... (aka clipped prior to being a year old or 6 months old) Might hold true for many other species, too!

Agree with the others, just do the switch when you get her! If after a day or two and she can't settle down, then consider putting her back in her old cage.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
This is, to my knowledge, mainly with african greys... and is actually due to being clipped at a young age... (aka clipped prior to being a year old or 6 months old) Might hold true for many other species, too!

Agree with the others, just do the switch when you get her! If after a day or two and she can't settle down, then consider putting her back in her old cage.
I do not know if wing clipping is the direct culprit in every single case, I'm not specifically refering to just the Grey either.

I dunno every body I may not end up with her. Shes getting progressively worse. I found out shes getting so agressive she's trying to bite owner through cage and hes shaking it when she does thinking it will stop her. STUPID. She really needs a new home. This person doesnt have the slightest idea in "parrot 101". The person is so on and off bout getting rid of her for the past year. Shes just getting worse because he's making her that way. Shes only two. Her cage is to small, she has one/two toys. He perch diameter is to small NO WONDER SHES AN ANGRY BIRD. On top of, shes never had guidance from day one. Now he wants what he paid for her 3200 and i refuse to pay that amount for a mentally messed up parrot that I know Im going to be scarred up by and then some just to get her back to a normal mental state not to mention investing the correct cage and toys... he even mentioned placing her on CL.. heck*in sickening. This entire situtation. Im going to that man house tonight after work. Wish me luck I make progress. I dont want to be to bold in his home and get thrown out but this cant be sugar coated. Hands down his littke bird is so very unhappy and he needs to get it through his head. For the past year, ive dealt with him being on and off about getting rid of her. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! And frankly disgusted. I knew her as a baby. Sweetest little thing. I did her nail clippings. She didnt even need to be toweled. It's the same way i do with my amazon and hh. Id place her on a counter or table and give her a treat to nibble while i pick up a foot while she stood on the other and clip them no fuss, no prblem. Or a little fuss but nvr ever bit me. Sweetest little baby. Now .. poor bird.

Last edited:

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Do any of you guys want a Cape parrot if i cannot convince him to give her to me?before he lists her on CL. She's here in MI. B4 a parrot collector, rescue or hoarder gets ahold of her. I cannot afford 3000.00 for her. I just cant. I said Id make payments but it is apparently not good enough. His first concern is all about getting the cash not giving her a good home which I can most definitely provide.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That sounds very stressful, for the poor parrot, for the parrots current owner and for you. I am so sorry that this poor little bird's happiness has been compromised for so long.

I hope you can reason with the owner. Good luck! Stay safe, something about this worries me. Let us know of your progress.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
That sounds very stressful, for the poor parrot, for the parrots current owner and for you. I am so sorry that this poor little bird's happiness has been compromised for so long.

I hope you can reason with the owner. Good luck! Stay safe, something about this worries me. Let us know of your progress.
Thank you. Ill update at the earliest tonight or at latest tomorrow during the day. I dont get out of work till 730 this evening. Ill go home and take care of my two first then go to his home.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
STILL WORKING ON IT ..

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Just an update