• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rehabbing Frankie and she won't stop picking herself

Frankie's

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Teri
Tried soft collars, leather collars, sprays, hemp oil orally and topically, removing collars and watching her constantly. She had reconstructive surgery under 1 wing. She is 16 and not aggressive. Any suggestions?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
What species of bird is she? Have you talked to your vet about this? I tried cbd for my bird and myself - it did nothing except cost me money. The great majority of commercial sprays do nothing but irritate and exacerbate irritation.

What is her diet and how long have you had her?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
From another post Frankie is an African Grey. No help from me but good luck.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prophylactically treat for heavy metals if nerve pain has been ruled out. (Assuming of course that heart has been cleared of issues) I have yet to have a grey that plucked in foster/rehab care that didn’t respond well to heavy metal detoxing and/or neurontin.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It may be that it is something that you have to manage rather than try to eliminate it completely. It might have turned into a habit.

One of my greys started plucking when he was about eight (he'[s now twenty one) and wound up having a wing partially amputated when they found a tumour. He's been in a e collar off and on ever since because if it's left off for too long he starts picking again. The vet whose been caring for him all these years doesn't think he'll ever stop.

I wish I had something better to offer, and hope you are able to find her some relief.