• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitation?

MiniMiniMango

Moving in
So my bird has been “excited” a lot lately and keeps trying to mate with fluffy objects. And today I noticed that he is regurgitating his food I’m not sure if it’s a lot but it sure does look like it. He sometimes does try to regurgitate food to me but never actually does it. The things that comes out are small seeds surrounded by other beige/white stuff. I’m pretty sure this is just him being “affectionate” and I was wondering how make him stop dirtying up his cage. If this doesn’t sound like regurgitation and more like vomiting how to I treat that?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Regurgitation looks like something is being forced up. Vomiting is head shaking and seeds going everywhere. How long has he been doing this? It could just be seasonal hormones. How much sleep does he get?

MiniMiniMango

Moving in
Regurgitation looks like something is being forced up. Vomiting is head shaking and seeds going everywhere. How long has he been doing this? It could just be seasonal hormones. How much sleep does he get?
I noticed what I thought was a lot of poop like 4 days ago but I now realize it’s what he’s bringing up. He gets a normal amount of sleep (8 hours) but when I wake up I see that his clean perch is now covered in the things he bring up.

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
My bird occasionally regurgitates and gets hormonal too. I deal with it by ignoring it when it happens. If she's regurgitating on me, I set her down.

If he is regurgitating too, you can try things like decreasing his daylight hours by putting him to bed a couple of hours earlier. I do this for my tiel. I also have blackout curtains in the room. I keep them open until evening, then close them and turn on a light. That way she doesn't realize the days are longer this time of year, which helps significantly. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I noticed what I thought was a lot of poop like 4 days ago but I now realize it’s what he’s bringing up. He gets a normal amount of sleep (8 hours) but when I wake up I see that his clean perch is now covered in the things he bring up.
I think he should be getting more sleep than that. Like 10 hours.

YKwagga

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yoshua
My african grey does this as well. If I just pet her sometimes she'll start a gagging motion and regurgitate. I know that she hasn't eaten anything funny, so as you say its probably affection but i have no idea how to stop it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Like 10 hours.
Yes, at least. Some where between 10 and 12 for a male. 12 for female..

I noticed what I thought was a lot of poop like 4 days ago but I now realize it’s what he’s bringing up.
It is very important you are cleaning this up because it will harbour bad bacteria. It is a problem to just be around, and worse if your bird decides to eat it hours later.

It is also extremely important that you are monitoring your birds weight, using a scale and writing it down in a book. Some birds re-eat what they bring up (as in, it doesn´t leave their beaks) and poses no problems, but if your bird is depositing the food, then they will need to eat a lot more to avoid losing weight or becoming malnourished.

If I just pet her sometimes she'll start a gagging motion and regurgitate
Limit petting to only her head. If she starts regurgitating for you, set her down wherever you are, and take two steps back. Similar to how we would deal with a bitey bird.