• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitation

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Hey guys.... I'm a really new macaw mom. I've had Lucy for 3 weeks. She's been wonderful with me with only a couple of hard nips. She steps up and loves snuggle time. But she regurgitates on me every time! She's starting to do it in her cage as well.... it's mainly undigested food, but if she hasn't eaten it can be just clear slime. Is this normal???

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It can be normal or abnormal. Macaws dedicated pukers and puke on everything all the time - sometimes. My Hank was a champion regurgitator - he regurged on furniture, toys, paper me. Everything all the time.

Check to see if his regurg has a sour smell to it. If so he may have an infection in his crop. Try not to be affectionate with him (hard I know) because regurgitation is a sexual action and he may be in love with you or just in the throes of hormones.

Watch him and if it doesn't get to be less in a week - take him to the vet.

OOOPS - she that is.

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks I will watch it. Not sure if he or she.... just decided "she" looked like a Lucy haha

It can be normal or abnormal. Macaws dedicated pukers and puke on everything all the time - sometimes. My Hank was a champion regurgitator - he regurged on furniture, toys, paper me. Everything all the time.

Check to see if his regurg has a sour smell to it. If so he may have an infection in his crop. Try not to be affectionate with him (hard I know) because regurgitation is a sexual action and he may be in love with you or just in the throes of hormones.

Watch him and if it doesn't get to be less in a week - take him to the vet.

OOOPS - she that is.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine does the same. I watch her feeding her feet all the time. She'll grab my fingers & bob, then puke on me if I let her, which I try not to. As Hankmacaw said if it has a sour smell it could mean infection. We're also still in macaw breeding time, so even tho he/she may not be of age to breed they can go thru the motions.

pcmichelle

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle
Mine does the same. I watch her feeding her feet all the time. She'll grab my fingers & bob, then puke on me if I let her, which I try not to. As Hankmacaw said if it has a sour smell it could mean infection. We're also still in macaw breeding time, so even tho he/she may not be of age to breed they can go thru the motions.
how long does breeding season last? Also.... not having a genetically tested bird I don't know whether Lucy is actually a female.... could her sudden aggression toward my husband be because Lucy should actually be Ricky and he sees him as competition?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Very sorry to say, but breeding season lasts as long as it lasts for each individual bird.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
how long does breeding season last? Also.... not having a genetically tested bird I don't know whether Lucy is actually a female.... could her sudden aggression toward my husband be because Lucy should actually be Ricky and he sees him as competition?
No. Lucy can be Ricky and hate your husband too. ;)

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Macaw is female. She usually shows signs as early as late October, running into late February, with the strongest period being late December into late January.. It's not always the same every year, but close. They are living in our homes, not in the wild, where they'd have daily natural light, food, etc., so their breeding season isn't the same as it may be in the wild. She is bonded to me & will attack my husband any chance she gets. Parrot choose a human as their mate, because they generally can't choose another parrot in most homes. They will defend their "mate" no matter the sex.

Many think they have a male bird then years later said bird lays an egg & they are shocked to find that "Fred" is now "Fredia"! It's a good suggestion to have your bird DNA tested, just so you know what to expect. A bird can get egg bound & if you think it's male you have no idea what is going on, plus risking the chance of losing the bird. Add in how would you like to be called Fred & treated like a male your whole life, when you really should be called Fredia? Just MHO.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've seen macaws as young as 6 or 7 months do this with their owners, and I have a sun conure that tries it with me. Avoiding things that stimulate mating behavior can help. Don't stroke the birds back. I keep the scratching to the head and neck, but never stroke the length of the body. Keeping them on a solid light schedule during the day can help reduce it as well. When it starts, hold them away from you. They will get you right on the face if they can.