• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitation Question

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
So it finally happened, my bird (a 1 year old Sunday Conure) regurgitated for me. If anyone has advice for how to handle this (if it happens again), I'd be glad to hear it! Since I wasn't sure what to do this time, I just picked him up, put him in his cage, and then refilled his favorite foraging toy (which has been distracting him nicely haha). I'll put a picture of the regurgitation below and if it doesn't look normal please inform me! Also does this mean he is bonded to me? I was worried on whether or not he was since whenever we go out, and someone else holds him, he doesn't want to get back on me (which makes me sad I wont like haha)
I'd also like to ask for advice on another thing;
I just took my bird to the vet (literally a week ago), and my vet said I shouldn't hold him or interact with him as much as I do (she also told me she has a severe macaw, a budgie, and a cockateil.. that are all kept in the same cage!!!!). A huge part of my bird and I's time together is spent with me doing something on the computer, and him resting on my shoulder/in my shirt, playing with his toys or just watching me. Should I not be doing this?? I dont want to stop cuddling him, but if its a danger to his health then I will! He's already gotten hormonal twice, but I handled that by buying new toys, and rearranging his cage so he would have more to explore in there, cutting down on the fattier treats, as well as cutting his day/night cycle from 12/12 hours to 10/14 hours respectively (which worked for me and he was back to his usual self within a week or two!)

Feel free to ask for more details about him if you want to, I'll happily answer! Thank you!

Here's the picture of the regurgitation (I'm pretty sure it isn't vomit, but a second opinion would be great!)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't agree with your vet about cutting down on your attention. As long as you are not petting his back, etc. it should be okay. The other things you do to curb hormones are good. As far as the regurgitation goes, I've never had the pleasure of having that happen, but it seemed like you handled it fine.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
I don't agree with your vet about cutting down on your attention. As long as you are not petting his back, etc. it should be okay. The other things you do to curb hormones are good. As far as the regurgitation goes, I've never had the pleasure of having that happen, but it seemed like you handled it fine.
Thank you! I mostly pet around his head/neck and every once in a while I'll stroke his whole body but its rare. Thanks for your response!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Stroking the whole body can be a sure way to say "Hey pretty! Lets make babies!"

Setting him down and walking away (or at least removing your attention and/or turning around momentarily) is a good approach for when he regurgitates. Alternatively, you could distract him and ask a different behavior that is incompatible with regurgitating and reward the new behavior instead.

EarthToEcho

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Medoh
Stroking the whole body can be a sure way to say "Hey pretty! Lets make babies!"

Setting him down and walking away (or at least removing your attention and/or turning around momentarily) is a good approach for when he regurgitates. Alternatively, you could distract him and ask a different behavior that is incompatible with regurgitating and reward the new behavior instead.
Yeah thats why I only stroke him sometimes (normally when he gets really scared, like tonight during a thunderstorm I did it like twice after he got nervous)
Thank you for your advice!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even in a situation like that, you need to be careful. It's possible to accidentally reward the nervous behavior rather than comforting the bird. Not saying to stop, just need to figure out if you are doing good or not in a situation like that!

If only we could understand them better!