• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating while sleeping

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I've heard my budgie Oliver making crunching noises at late at night. I initially thought that he probably woke up and was crunching his beak... But it sounded too much like his regurgitating noise. This morning when I uncovered his cage, I saw three or four seeds stuck to the bars so I knew he was regurgitating last night. It was very late so I believe he did it in his sleep. Is that normal? Do any of y'all's birds do that? IMG_20200118_085514185.jpg

anurim

Strolling the yard
. I think the safest thing is to take him to the vet. I'm pretty sure it's not normal, especially late at night. He obviously woke up from the sickness, I don't think there is such thing as ''regurgitating in his sleep''

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
. I think the safest thing is to take him to the vet. I'm pretty sure it's not normal, especially late at night. He obviously woke up from the sickness, I don't think there is such thing as ''regurgitating in his sleep''
Well, I probably woke him up coming in the room with my friend. We were quiet but it probably woke him up anyway

anurim

Strolling the yard
Well, I probably woke him up coming in the room with my friend. We were quiet but it probably woke him up anyway
If you say so, but still, I would still take him to a vet, especially if he continues to regurgitate.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think they both should go to the vet. Budgies don't regurgitate in their sleep and regurgitated seed comes from the crop so isn't that wet/sticky. I can clearly see the stomach juices on the bars. Your budgie is vomiting.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sometimes budgies gorge on things like millet and overeat. They will gurge/vomit some of it back up.

So the question would be is he doing this before bedtime?

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I think they both should go to the vet. Budgies don't regurgitate in their sleep and regurgitated seed comes from the crop so isn't that wet/sticky. I can clearly see the stomach juices on the bars. Your budgie is vomiting.
The stuff that is dried on there is actually poop but I'll still bring them both to the vet soon.. my vet doesn't open until Monday.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Sometimes budgies gorge on things like millet and overeat. They will gurge/vomit some of it back up.

So the question would be is he doing this before bedtime?
Well yesterday Winston got in his cage and Oliver fed Winston.. so he could have shaken his head and the seeds got stuck in the bars

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Oliver was doing well today and I put him to bed early to get a lot of rest. We have a big day tomorrow and we are going to the vet

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Oliver is going to the vet tomorrow! He was doing well today and I pot him to bed early because tomorrow will be a big day

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope the vet trip goes well for you. :)

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Oliver went to the vet earlier and the doctor said that he seemed fine and that I should just monitor him and make sure that he doesn't show any breathing problems and doesn't throw up anymore. Oliver hasn't thrown up in two days so I'm hoping that it could just be a behavioral thing (the vet said that may be a possibility)