• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating pellets?

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Zack just regurgitated his pellets so im pretty worried right now. His container was empty this morning and he dug in when i topped it up. Then he started zooming around the room and he regurgitated after landing on his cage. Is it possible that he ate too fast and got an upset stomach from flying around? Hes preening and eating now so he seems to be feeling better.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It is possible he ate too much and had to regurgitate a little to get his crop back to a comfortable size.
The danger here is letting the pellets run out. In nature they're foragers. When food is available they will tend to gorge because they never know when their next meal is coming. Keeping food freely available should prevent this - though there are a few exceptions.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels don't usually need their food amounts monitored- not like carts or dogs. And since they have such high metabolism rates, I always let mine have access to food 24/7. And did he regurgitate or vomit? Regurgitate looks controlled- like he's forcing something up his throat. Vomiting is head shaking and food flying everywhere.