• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regurgitating...ALL THE TIME!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Ok so before you offer advice please read this Severe's history on the previous thread I posted about him so you have a little insight to his past.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-motorway/11342-new-severe-macaw-rescue.html

Cody has been Regurgitating A LOT and at first I was very worried about a crop infection and he does have an appointment at the vet. I am currently treating him with anti biotic and his stool is normal. He is a very healthy bird but I notice there was vomit on the bottom of his cage and generally ALL over him. So I watched him and he is picking up his toys, holding them and then regurgitating directly on them and rubbing on them and licking them. At first I couldn't figure out why he was doing this, I had never seen it before.
Then I got to thinking, in his previous COCKATIEL cage, he had 1 dowel rod and NO toys. Could it be that he is just so happy and now attached to the toys that he is regurgitating on them? He is very affectionate towards them and he was played and played and played with them, but he regurgitates on them every day.

Anyone have any thoughts?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
it sounds like you may have nailed it on the head. its the only thing that makes sense, specially since he hasn't had any toys. now he does and he "fell in love" with them but doesn't know how to show his "love" like a "normal" bird would , just by playing with them

but I would think the regurgitating all the time wouldn't be very good on him? I know when they do it that its not normally a large amount, but you'd think even small amounts all day every day (or how ever long he has his toy at the time) would not be good for him. if not health wise, at least Mental wise, because You wouldn't want this to become a habit that he doesn't ever stop doing.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Right! I don't want him to get overly toys aggressive over it too. But he may be a bird that needs a HUGE cage and his toys to be happy and not human interaction based on his history and abuse. I will try my hardest to get him trusting of people again and in the mean time I will ask the vet about the regurgitating and if it will effect his health and what his thoughts are about it.
Thank you!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Your welcome

and I know where your coming from, I've been trying for going on 3 years to get one of my tiels Just to step up , he doesn't have to stay just to realize not all hands are enemies, i got him from a so called Rescue (from craigs list none the less) he was with 8 other tiels(was supposed to be 15 but that's a different story) well sometime before We picked them up they decided to take it upon their self to cut a wing bone off, the woman swore they didn't do it, but it was recent. and you could tell that because every time he moved his wing- even when doing their normal Fluff of feathers and shake em out - blood would fling all over the place, it was nothing to give him a sparkling clean perch go in 2 mins later and blood drops would be all over it - she had these birds for about 2 years So it was recent Very recent and i'm thinking the night before we got them OR the morning before we got there , he even had very raw skin in his "arm pit" area from the little pieces of bone sticking out cutting his skin all up it took a lot of work and about 6 months for it to finally heal where he wouldn't bleed any more, took him a little over 2 years to even come out of a cage, He still hates being touched and screams bloody murder and bites the living day lights out of us. But he loves whistling and chattering in his tiel' language to us and gets louder if we don't acknowledge him talking to us in his way.but you get near him and he runs away :( But I haven't given up, and I keep telling him I never Will. We'll grow old and grey together(which my kids get a laugh out of because he's a WF Dominant silver so he's already grey LOL) and he will eventually allow us to touch him because I can be just as stubborn and Bull headed as he can be :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yup. Sounds like you nailed it to me too.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok so before you offer advice please read this Severe's history on the previous thread I posted about him so you have a little insight to his past.
http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-motorway/11342-new-severe-macaw-rescue.html

Cody has been Regurgitating A LOT and at first I was very worried about a crop infection and he does have an appointment at the vet. I am currently treating him with anti biotic and his stool is normal. He is a very healthy bird but I notice there was vomit on the bottom of his cage and generally ALL over him. So I watched him and he is picking up his toys, holding them and then regurgitating directly on them and rubbing on them and licking them. At first I couldn't figure out why he was doing this, I had never seen it before.
Then I got to thinking, in his previous COCKATIEL cage, he had 1 dowel rod and NO toys. Could it be that he is just so happy and now attached to the toys that he is regurgitating on them? He is very affectionate towards them and he was played and played and played with them, but he regurgitates on them every day.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Totally agree. Head bobbing for toys is normal macaw behavior (although I'm a little surprised he's bringing so much up). Elvis didn't have many toys when I first got her--a bullet proof plastic bell and foraging toy. That's it. No wood. When she saw her wooden toys in her new cage, she went on a head bobbing spree, LOL. She does it less now, but she still does it.

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
OOOOHHHH! :( Bless his little heart! :)

He is sooo thankful for his toys....awwww Poor little darling.

~Tiko~

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
I am glad I came upon this thread. I was just going to ask about my girl Notsu. I have just got her back after not having her for 3 1/2 yrs. She is now 11 yrs old. After she eats she regurgitates on her favorite toy. I am not sure what to do about it. I am thinking it can't be good. Should I take out that toy and replace it with a different toy and exchange them more often. She has no problem with new toys being put in her cage so that is not a problem. From the day I brought her home at 6 months I have changed her toys around every week. But then again it has been 3 yrs since this has happened so I will have to proceed slowly into that again.
Anyway, any thoughts on changing the toys to see if it slows her down? Thanks!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad I came upon this thread. I was just going to ask about my girl Notsu.
Hi Tammy. You might want to start a new thread so that more people will see your question. Also, if Notsu is an African Grey, you might want to post it in the Grey section. Hope you get some help soon :)

Status
Not open for further replies.