• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regular water vs comerical parrot spray?

RealDeal

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Ty
Just wondering if I should use just regular water for misting my grey or something like rain forest mist?

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
I definitely don’t use my water to mist a bird unless it’s filtered because it stinks like Clorox, even when cold. Nor do I drink it unfiltered or give it unfiltered to a bird to drink. I also have a filter on my shower head but my city just has awful water.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Filtered water is fine, if you put chemicals on them, it can be very bad for them and make them itchy or lose feathers, or worse.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I use tap water.

I definitely don’t use my water to mist a bird unless it’s filtered because it stinks like Clorox, even when cold. Nor do I drink it unfiltered or give it unfiltered to a bird to drink. I also have a filter on my shower head but my city just has awful water.

First thing in the AM it can smell like a bottle of bleach was left open in the bathroom where I live. You should be able to ask the city if the water is chlorinated, or chlorimated. If it's chlorinated, pouring the water from one vessel to the other 10 times it'll remove the chlorine via aeration. Boiling for 15 minutes, or justy letting it sit for 12-24 hours to off gas are other ways to remove chlorine.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
New use anything other than water to bath your birds. Whatever stuff is in one of those commercial sprays stays on their feathers - not good.

@redindiaink - and you can also use bottled water to spray the with. We have an excessive amount of lime in our water.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Tap water or fresh rain water is what I use.
I’d never buy (or use) anything to put on my birds feathers when the safest and best thing for them is clean water.