• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reglan and regurgitation

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
My bird is suffering from regurgitation issues due to AGY. He is on reglan and when I give it to him he regurgitates that out. At this point I don’t know what to do. Has anyone been through this before?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bird didn't have AGY and no definitive diagnosis was ever made but she did have vomiting issues and would sometimes vomit the Reglan.
One thing that was recommended to me by the vet was providing her with ginger water. I would put some small strips of fresh ginger in
hot water and let that sit for a while, make sure it was cool and then add some of that to her drinking water. Ginger can be beneficial for
nausea and vomiting, but I would check with your vet first. She was also on vetri-DMG to help boost her immune system.
Sorry that your bird is ill and hope that he will get better soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My bird is also on reglan and it must be terrible tasting from her reaction the first three doses. I ow mix the reglan with a cc or so of her hand feeding stuff. You could use something in baby foods that she likes to mix in the syringe - like peas, green beans, or spinach. Do not use fruit the sugar in fruit (or any sugar doe that matter) is manna for fungus - makes it grow like mad.

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Thank you so much! Poor thing is eager to eat but can’t seem to keep it down. I’ve put apple cider vinegar in her water as prescribed by the vet but he’s not a very avid water drinker unfortunately.

My bird didn't have AGY and no definitive diagnosis was ever made but she did have vomiting issues and would sometimes vomit the Reglan.
One thing that was recommended to me by the vet was providing her with ginger water. I would put some small strips of fresh ginger in
hot water and let that sit for a while, make sure it was cool and then add some of that to her drinking water. Ginger can be beneficial for
nausea and vomiting, but I would check with your vet first. She was also on vetri-DMG to help boost her immune system.
Sorry that your bird is ill and hope that he will get better soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can always call your vet and ask for an alternative antienemic. Make sure your bird is not dehydrated. The ginger tea may help if your vet gives you the okay.