• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Regent Parrot is so mean

katy94

Moving in
Real Name
Katy Flett
Hello everyone. From what I have read, there aren't many regent parrot/rock pebbler owners on here but I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice

We got a hand reared regent parrot/rock pebbler in June this year and so far she has been nothing but mean. She bites me no matter what I do. I will ask her to step up and 9 times out of 10 she will bite me. She's much better with my partner but will still bite him maybe 5 times out of 10. We both do training with her but it has got to the point that she bites me so much that I am fearful to do anything with her, which I know probably doesn't help the situation. If she is sat with us and either of us move she will go to bite whatever is closest. She is on a seed and vegetable diet atm but we are in the process of changing her to pellets.

If anyone has any advice that would be great thank you

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Welcome! This isn't really a species specific thing, so plenty of people will be able to help out.

Hopefully someone will offer some advice soon!

She is on a seed and vegetable diet atm but we are in the process of changing her to pellets.
She should have seed, chop (veggies and fruit) and pellets in her diet, not just pellets. Try making the pellets damp if you are finding it hard to transition her.

Could we see some pictures please :D

@Mizzely

katy94

Moving in
Real Name
Katy Flett
She should have seed, chop (veggies and fruit) and pellets in her diet, not just pellets. Try making the pellets damp if you are finding it hard to transition her.

Could we see some pictures please :D

Thank you so much for replying. Oh OK so I thought they were supposed to be just pellets but that's great if she can have both. She does like to dunk her food in her water so I will try making the pellets damp and see if that helps

I think I have attached a photo of her but I'm still not 100% what I'm doing on here her name is Olive

Attachments

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I'm sorry if I'm not replying properly, I'm sure I will get the hang of it
You're going fine!

Oh OK so I thought they were supposed to be just pellets but that's great if she can have both. She does like to dunk her food in her water so I will try making the pellets damp and see if that helps
Take a look around the forum, there is lots of good information about diets that woukd be great for you to take a look at.

I think I have attached a photo of her but I'm still not 100% what I'm doing on here her name is Olive
She is adorable! Much smaller than I imagined! She seems pretty calm sat on the arm like that

katy94

Moving in
Real Name
Katy Flett
[QUOTE="Ali, post: 3330373, member:

Take a look around the forum, there is lots of good information about diets that woukd be great for you to take a look at.

I will have a look, thank you

She is small but compared to my green cheek she looks huge

This photo was from when we first got her but she does still enjoy sitting with my partner. It's more me that she doesn't like. She will sometimes sit with me and be nice but the majority of the time she will bite me. If I try to pick her up from anywhere she will almost always bite me which has made me really cautious around her which I'm sure makes her worse

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! How long are your training session? They should be kept short- like only 10 minutes at a time. And you should always try to end on a positive note. Don't push her to do it "one more time" if she's starting to lose interest, etc.

katy94

Moving in
Real Name
Katy Flett
Welcome! How long are your training session? They should be kept short- like only 10 minutes at a time. And you should always try to end on a positive note. Don't push her to do it "one more time" if she's starting to lose interest, etc.
Hi! So we normally only train for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes less if she's not feeling it

Marsbirds

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone. From what I have read, there aren't many regent parrot/rock pebbler owners on here but I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice

We got a hand reared regent parrot/rock pebbler in June this year and so far she has been nothing but mean. She bites me no matter what I do. I will ask her to step up and 9 times out of 10 she will bite me. She's much better with my partner but will still bite him maybe 5 times out of 10. We both do training with her but it has got to the point that she bites me so much that I am fearful to do anything with her, which I know probably doesn't help the situation. If she is sat with us and either of us move she will go to bite whatever is closest. She is on a seed and vegetable diet atm but we are in the process of changing her to pellets.

If anyone has any advice that would be great thank you
My female pebbler who was adopted is still afraid of hands and will only step up on to an arm. I don't find her or my male pebbler to be mean but they are very independent. At certain times of the day if they are chilling, playing, eating, or sleepy, they will warn that they will bite. Try target training! Mine were both very hesitant to trust me at first and it took a long time to get them to step up but now when I enter the room they both fly to me and love human interaction now. Be patient! It's so worth it. They love to play with your hair, preen your lashes and brows, and rub their face against your cheek when they are feeling extra content. Also they LOVE music and will happily warble along to the right tunes.