• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Refusing formula / Rejurgitating formula

TielTA

Meeting neighbors
Around 45 day old Cockatiel, could be a little older.
Recently he's been sleeping a lot. Only waking up for feeding times, at which point he's flying around and active and normal.

This morning he refused formula after eating only half the normal amount. He's then been rejurgitating a little formula throughout the day, rejurgitating it into his mouth to chew on, or to shake his head and fling around the cage.
He's not wanted his mid day feed or his mid afternoon feed today.

He's been eating a little millet and pellets for around 10 days now.

Is this normal weening? I put him back in a heated brooder in case he's sick.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are you offering other foods? It's a good age to start weaning so a little seed, some dark green leaves. Millet is great for starting weaning.
You've described something that sounds like vomiting rather than regurgitating. What temperature is the formula you're feeding? And what brand is it?

TielTA

Meeting neighbors
Putting him in the brooder a few hours seems to have increased his energy and hunger. He's got food available througout the day. millet pellets and veg. The formula is a generic local brand and the temp is 100F

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Up the temp to 105F.
Be sure you are weighing your little one. Monitor his closely to be sure he is active during the day and that he is eating and the vomiting stops.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
At your tiels age he would eat less formula by choice but continue to offer the formula until he refuses to eat any for a few days or more. Soak some pelleted diet to encourage him to eat more of those and the millet, soft cooked vegetables as well. It does sound like he is vomiting instead of regurgitating. As @Zara said.... the temperature of the formula needs to be 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure all of the utensils you use for preparing the formula and feeding with are well sterilized after every use to prevent any type of cross contamination of bacteria. Also.. you must make fresh formula for each feeding.... never save any from a previous feeding or you risk making your bird sick.

TielTA

Meeting neighbors
He refused his formula again this morning. But he was crying for me to come take him out of the brooder and then making hungry crying sounds but refused the formula.
He's gained weight overnight. Around 4g

TielTA

Meeting neighbors
Putting him in the brooder seems to have perked him up. He's not vomiting anymore. And is eating millet and pellets. He screams and cries for me to come pick him up but then doesn't want any food from me. Weird.

This reminds me 3 days ago he was doing a lot of crop adjustment yawns.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Putting him in the brooder seems to have perked him up. He's not vomiting anymore. And is eating millet and pellets. He screams and cries for me to come pick him up but then doesn't want any food from me. Weird.

This reminds me 3 days ago he was doing a lot of crop adjustment yawns.
If you worry about an infection at all... and he continues to vomit.... you might call your vet and ask them if you can swing by and pick up a sterile culture swab to have on hand for the next time he vomits.. if he does. You would take the swab out of the package, get as much of the vomit on the swab and place it back in the package and seal it. Consult with the vet how they want you to store it before you take it back to drop it off. You should have little contact with anyone picking it up and dropping it off since we are in this current situation of safety. At least, if they will do this, someone can look at the sample of vomit and either verify he has a crop infection or not.