• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reflection Obsession and Separation Anxiety. Please help :c

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Gotta love a complex mind!

I have Beau here, a male cockatiel. He is very much a hands off bird... and he also doesn't care for other birds. That is, he doesn't try to brefriend any other bird. However, he'd be more than happy to serenade a human!!!! From a distance.... Face to face is okay, but no physical interaction.

Then there's Bibi... female cockatiel.... she's the opposite! She likes being on peoples heads and shoulders, may occasionally accept scritches but do not dare speak a word! Speaking upsets her. Even if she isn't on you, but is close, she gets upset.

I think Bibi was purchased as a friend for Beau when no one claimed him, but they never got along in Bibi's original home, so they had separate cages.

Definitely try to figure out what makes him happy and try and encourage that.

Biscuitpaw

Meeting neighbors
Gotta love a complex mind!

I have Beau here, a male cockatiel. He is very much a hands off bird... and he also doesn't care for other birds. That is, he doesn't try to brefriend any other bird. However, he'd be more than happy to serenade a human!!!! From a distance.... Face to face is okay, but no physical interaction.

Then there's Bibi... female cockatiel.... she's the opposite! She likes being on peoples heads and shoulders, may occasionally accept scritches but do not dare speak a word! Speaking upsets her. Even if she isn't on you, but is close, she gets upset.

I think Bibi was purchased as a friend for Beau when no one claimed him, but they never got along in Bibi's original home, so they had separate cages.

Definitely try to figure out what makes him happy and try and encourage that.
Yeah my first tiel Piyo was a hands off bird as well. She liked being where all the action was, and would step-up, sit on shoulders, etc. But DO NOT PET. Only hold.
HNI_0028.JPG

My second tiel Peko loves scritches almost as much as Tango does, and loved being with people, would let anyone pet her, and was also comfortable hanging out by herself. She was pretty much the perfect bird, I miss her terribly. :(
Peko1.jpg

I think scritches and food would be Tango's top two favorite things, in that order. He's a very hands-on bird and if it were up to him, he'd be getting scritches ALL day. He just wants to be with you all the time. Which is great..! I just wish he was comfortable being on his own as well.

Last edited: