• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reducing sunflower seeds in Pichu's diet...

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
... is quite a job!

20190926_232938.jpg

There is more sunflower seeds in that seed mix than anything else! While at it, I also sorted out the big seeds my birds won't eat. I'll sprout them and chop them...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is the long way to go about something! Wowzer!

Maybe next time it would be easier to buy a seed mix that doesn't have sunflower seeds and then add the extra stuff you want to that. :) If anything it will save you some time!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What brand of seed is that?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That is the long way to go about something! Wowzer!

Maybe next time it would be easier to buy a seed mix that doesn't have sunflower seeds and then add the extra stuff you want to that. :) If anything it will save you some time!
That's what I was supposed to do... The breeder told me which brand she bought and specified that she took the Luxus one. I remembered the brand name but forgot all about the Luxus thing and found myself with a 5kg bag of seeds with at least 1/3 of sunflower seeds :banghead:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm starting to buy my seeds seperate from one another as I'm not impressed w/ the mixes you buy w/ pellets in them. I had access to a nice little mix from a NY state organic farm but I found out the owner died & the person that took the estate (his son or nephew, maybe) is persuing other interests. I do feed some safflower seeds but like sunflower seeds, I prefer to sprout them. So much more nutritionally changed for the better that way!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Can you get ahold of the Volkman bird seed where you are? They make a specific Parrotlet mix.

You can also find Cockatiel with no sunflower.

Safflower is fattening too though.
Now I have those 5kg, it'll take a while before I need to buy a new one even after sorting the fat seeds out. The wild birds around here will get fat with sunflower seeds this winter ;) and when the bag is empty I'll buy the luxus version, with no sunflower seeds...

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Sounds like a lot of sorting through. The wild birds will enjoy the throw outs.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like a lot of sorting through. The wild birds will enjoy the throw outs.
Taking it a little at a time. I store Pichu's "correct" seeds in a little bottle. When it is full I stop, and sort a new lot when it is empty. Goes some weeks in between ;)