• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Redness on my parrots feet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks like possibly the start of bumblefoot.

miupunjabi

Moving in
Yep - the start of bumblefoot. Take care of it now and you should be able to cure it pretty quickly.
What precautions should I take ?
Any home remedy or herbal remedies ?
Also sometimes he has nasal discharge.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He would greatly benefit from some natural perches, they help keep their feet healthy. Sitting in the same position is not good for their feet so we should offer natural branches of varying sizes and even some safe rope perches so they can avoid damaging their feet. The perch you have for him is not healthy for his feet or his joints.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The treatment was covered in the link I shared. First part of treatment is to give your bird more than one perch; they need varying widths and textures to keep their feet healthy.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Make everything in his cage soft for a couple of weeks by wrapping perches with vet wrap and putting a towel on the bottom. When the towel or vet wrap gets soiled, you will have to replace them. Keep his cage soft until his sores heal. Make sure to keep everything clean so he doesn’t get an infection. As suggested, get natural and rope perches of varying widths, and also get some platform perches. Put a different perch on top of the cage, because sitting on the thin cage door on top can be very irritating to his feet.

miupunjabi

Moving in
Make everything in his cage soft for a couple of weeks by wrapping perches with vet wrap and putting a towel on the bottom. When the towel or vet wrap gets soiled, you will have to replace them. Keep his cage soft until his sores heal. Make sure to keep everything clean so he doesn’t get an infection. As suggested, get natural and rope perches of varying widths, and also get some platform perches. Put a different perch on top of the cage, because sitting on the thin cage door on top can be very irritating to his feet.
Till the time I get hold of the vetrap...
I have wraped Cotton bandage.(Is it safe ?) Kindly check the images. Also have washed his feet with warm water and antiseptic liquid.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The cotton bandages will work, but make sure your bird doesn’t ingest any of the material. Does he tend to pick at stuff like that?