• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Red spot on Sun Conure Beak

Kitzj0

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
photo.jpg I noticed tonight that one of my Sun Conure has a red spot on her beak. It looks like part of the beak may have chipped off or something. Is it something to be worried about? She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and let me rub her beak. I am posting a pic.

Thanks in advance!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Exact same thing happened to me with my GCC today. I was scared to death. Looked like a bad bruise or blood, and I didn't know what was underneath it. I almost went to the vet, but I'm sooooo broke right now I went to a friend with lots of experience. Birdie is not terribly hand friendly. She was eating ok though and poops looked ok too. My friends started relaxing her by grooming the pinnies, and eventually came to the conclusion that she itched herself so bad she scratched, and caused blood to pool and dry on her beak. They still felt it was not necessary to go to the vet. They didn't want to ruin the positive handling that occurred, but we finally decided to at least try to clean it up. It was a cherry skin. Felt pretty silly. But I do know the beak is in a way like a toenail, and regenerates itself. If the bird seems ok, I think I'd just keep an eye on it.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It's hard to tell from the pic but I think it might be an area where scale flaked off and it got stained with food or the red dye from a toy. But, if you aren't sure, best to err on the side of caution and take her to the vet. I admit the black beakies don't tend to stain as obviously as the horn colored ones can.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
•The red spot could be a couple of things. •The beak has a good blood supply so any injury even if small will bleed or look red just like our face. •Some birds over groom their beaks to get food off or even to sharpen/groom the tip. •Over ambitious birds just might rub too much (had a CAG that did this but learned). •Your bird may have been hit by a toy or any other firm surface. •Just watch him for signs of changes or worsening. •Most of the causes are not a big problem. •Glad you asked and are checking on him.

Kitzj0

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joe
It's hard to tell from the pic but I think it might be an area where scale flaked off and it got stained with food or the red dye from a toy. But, if you aren't sure, best to err on the side of caution and take her to the vet. I admit the black beakies don't tend to stain as obviously as the horn colored ones can.
That or some sort of injury. I don't think she is any pain. She let me touch her beak and didn't protest. She is eating and is using her beak for eating and climbing. I will keep a close eye on her and call the vet in the morning. I think Katy is right also about the beak.