• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red spot on new baby budgie feather

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

So I just saw a medium sized (like a penny) red (or pink) spot when my new baby budgie (I got him today and the guy at the shop had to take him with his hand to put him in the box, after that she was in her transport box for almost 30 minutes). It's located on it's feathers but I only saw it once a few minutes ago when he spread his wings. It looked like it was inside his wings and not like blood flowing from a broken feather. I am very stressed about it and no vet is available. Please help!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is the bird currently bleeding?
If so you need to stop the bleeding by applying corn starch and gentle pressure to the area.

If it’s already stopped bleeding then just keep an eye on your bird to make sure it is ok and doesn’t make the spot bleed again.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
Is the bird currently bleeding?
If so you need to stop the bleeding by applying corn starch and gentle pressure to the area.

If it’s already stopped bleeding then just keep an eye on your bird to make sure it is ok and doesn’t make the spot bleed again.
I never saw exposed blood, just a red spot

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you share a pic?

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
I can’t see it without touching him and spreading his wings, i don’t want to traumatize him... should i absolutely or should I wait until tomorrow to call the vet? he just chirped for the first time just now so i guess it’s a good sign?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really have no clue as I’m not really sure what the red spot you saw is.

If it’s on the back of the wings (the part of the wings you see all the time) then there is a small patch that is not feathered where their joint is.

If he’s not loosing blood I’d say checking with the vet tomorrow is fine.

Pastel

Meeting neighbors
I will so that today, she seems fine and the night went well! Thank you so much