• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Sore on Foot!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello Everyone!
I noticed this little red sore on my sun conure's left foot today, with a little swelling. I was reading up on this and I am worried it is a pressure sore? I am wondering how I should proceed on the matter because I don't want it to evolve into something much worse! I have attached images below!

He only has dowel rods in his cage, but he has several rope and wooden toys that wrap around them so he has some varying things to walk across. The foot in question is his left foot which I have noticed when he sleeps, he puts his right foot up on his rope toy, and leaves the other one on the dowel rod. He does switch every other night or so from doing this and sleeping completely on his rope toy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good you noticed. First of all dowel rods make poor perches. I would remove them. If you are adventurous you can go perch hunting among the trees after a wind storm and find newly fallen branches. If you have a tree identification book with you it can be done. I know the bird safe wood like willow and burch make excellent perches.
Of course what you gather needs to be cleaned and baked at low temperature in oven. Or just go shopping. Many vendors here have nice natural perches. In the meantime rope perches would be easy on the foot. Encourage activity so your bird is not sitting in one place for long time periods.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Good you noticed. First of all dowel rods make poor perches. I would remove them. If you are adventurous you can go perch hunting among the trees after a wind storm and find newly fallen branches. If you have a tree identification book with you it can be done. I know the bird safe wood like willow and burch make excellent perches.
Of course what you gather needs to be cleaned and baked at low temperature in oven. Or just go shopping. Many vendors here have nice natural perches. In the meantime rope perches would be easy on the foot. Encourage activity so your bird is not sitting in one place for long time periods.
Thank you so much for your reply! Since I am not too sure about our local trees, shopping seems like the safer venture for us at this time, however that is a wonderful idea and will get my hands on a tree identification book! :)
I will most likely start with rope perches since he is most used to those, he is quite a clumsy bird and doesn't do too well with change..lol!
When I make these changes would you say it is safe to hold off on a vet visit unless these changes do not help with the pressure sore?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
dowel perches can be wrapped with vet wrap to improve their standing on rough edges.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am going to tag someone who may suggest something topical you could use. It would help us answer your vet question if you could post a photo of his foot. Yes you can wrap perches but I found my birds eventually chew the vet wrap.

@Hankmacaw

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad you caught it early! Different sizes and diameter perches,, like Manzanita, or at least rope perches. Rub that boo-boo with A&D cream or vitamin E oil.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
dowel perches can be wrapped with vet wrap to improve their standing on rough edges.
Thank you for this idea! I'm going to temporarily use this until I can replace his perches! I just wrapped it around his usual sleeping spots and he is currently avoiding standing there, however I am hoping through the night he will move to sleep over there.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I am going to tag someone who may suggest something topical you could use. It would help us answer your vet question if you could post a photo of his foot. Yes you can wrap perches but I found my birds eventually chew the vet wrap.

@Hankmacaw
Oh thank you very much! I attached the photo however if it is not good enough I can attempt to snatch another one asap! I'm going to keep my eye on him chewing on it, as long as there are no visible rips in the vet tape he doesn't tend to fiddle with it. My boyfriend and I decided that we are just going to take him into the vet on Monday either way, he's due for his yearly check-up June 6th any who so we figured we would just move it up a couple of weeks! :p

Attachments

Last edited:

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Simple little sore from standing on uniform perches. Coconut oil can be applied as it's not through the skin... tastes good too. :D
Oh! I definitely have coconut oil! I will start rubbing some on his foot first thing tomorrow! The antibiotic properties I hope will help with both the redness and the swelling!

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Glad you caught it early! Different sizes and diameter perches,, like Manzanita, or at least rope perches. Rub that boo-boo with A&D cream or vitamin E oil.
Oh good I was so worried I caught it a little late! I'm going to look into both of those! He is a little clumsy so I am going to attempt to find something that stretches from one end of his cage to the next so he still feels comfortable with the layout! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My tiel got a sore just like that on both of her feet from a Safety Pumice Perch. The vet told me to make everthing soft in her cage with rope perches and vet wrap, and to put a towel down in the bottom of the cage. After about two weeks the sores went away.