• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red ring?

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
My daughter has rescued a ring neck parrot but she says it has a orange ring around its nock and not black. Does that mean it’s baby? She lives in texas so the bird isn’t here with me and I’m trying to give her all the advice to help it settle in because I think it came from a bad situation. Horrible cage and all that.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
She just sent me a video. She wants to know what’s the best first steps to make him more comfortable. He’s pacing and very understandably nervous. She will be getting him a new cage and toys so pls don’t judge the cage that’s what the bird came in and it’s only day 1.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would cover the cage on all side and only leave a corner open for him to peak out of. That's what I have always done for my nervous birds and it helps them not feel on display. I then essentially ignore them except to change food and water and papers, and don't stare at them at all, for a couple days or until they seem to be better. If the room is silent, turn on white noise or music or something, helps them not feel so on alert.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Is that behavior nervousness or something else?

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Poor baby :sad1: I wish I was closer

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could be nervousness, excitement, stereotypy behavior if he's been locked in a cage for a while with little enrichment, a combination of those things...only time will tell.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is that possibly a mirror on the far right of the perch he’s on? To me it almost be looks like he’s uncomfortable with the right side of the perch?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bigger perches that are natural, large toys towards the front of the cage (to hide behind), maybe some safe foliage? Remove the mirror.

The ring appears more pink to me but it's hard to see in the video. If at all possible, I would recommend giving this bird as much space as possible while he(?) settles in, only doing the necessary things to keep cage clean and food and water fresh. Move slowly around the cage, avoid direct eye contact, that kind of thing. White noise can definitely help!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would cover the cage on all side and only leave a corner open for him to peak out of.
I am just going to piggy back of this and suggest the paper hex wrap style. The bird can still peek out a little through the hex, but are also pretty concealed. It gives them a little more ability to watch you and realise you are a calming positive presence.

Something like this. They can also shred it to bits which is a bonus :) IRN can ingest cotton fiber, so I suggest against using a sheet.
2_b3a3ed52-0593-4bc6-b32b-1311e2b269a4_540x.png

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
I'm sure this thread is irrelevant now, just wanted to say that's how my ringnecks ring started. The top of his neck is a beautiful peach orange and the bottom black. Nothing to worry about, he's a beautiful male!

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Also! I just watched your video and my ringneck does exactly the same, he literally never sits still and will walk the same path 100 times in a row. Usually starts on the left of the cage, will crow across the entire ceiling to the far right, run across all perches and back up he goes! Sometimes I feel like it's a lack of stimulation but he's got more toys than cage at this point. Definitely remove the mirror!