• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red palm oil - opinions needed

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
When I had Aries, I tried to give him a bt of solid red palm oil but he hated it! Instead, because I wanted to get a little bit into him, I would take a small amount and coat the "goodies" in his meal with the melted oil about once a week. He would then begrudgingly eat what little was on there. Some weeks I would give a little piece of solid raw coconut oil instead; he always went nuts for that! I just thought I would share my experience with red palm oil. Maybe you should try presenting it in a few different ways each time to see what Loki likes best?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I had Aries, I tried to give him a bt of solid red palm oil but he hated it! Instead, because I wanted to get a little bit into him, I would take a small amount and coat the "goodies" in his meal with the melted oil about once a week. He would then begrudgingly eat what little was on there. Some weeks I would give a little piece of solid raw coconut oil instead; he always went nuts for that! I just thought I would share my experience with red palm oil. Maybe you should try presenting it in a few different ways each time to see what Loki likes best?
Be careful about the coconut oil. Mary helped me see the light then I came across this...

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Sorry for the late reply... Apparently I didn't get notified or I missed it somehow...
Thankyou for your input. All great ideas.
Just nit sure about the coconut oil either
I really have no problem getting him to take it..
I'm just about to post a video on the matter :)

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Week 3 update
Like mythic55 suggested, he absolutely loves it!
So once a week this happens;

I deliberately feed it via syringe so when (hopefully never) I'll have to give any kind of meds he'll just swallow, without thinking..

Oh and I noticed that the feathers got a glossy shine.
Sorry for the shaky vid, but I'd need a 3rd hand sticking out of my forhead for it to be any better.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves anything from a spoon or syringe and the red palm oil is something he thinks is a real treat lol.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
What a good little buddy! So adorable, reminds me of Siva-

One day I was hand feeding a clutch of 6.... They were being uncooperative and I needed to make more formula.

I left out syringes, mug of formula, paper towels, etc on the table and Siva was on a stand on the other side of the room. I left the room 2 minutes.....

I returned to Siva in the center of the table, thrashing and playing with the syringes- throwing formula all over and doing her ‘grumbly gurgles of joy’... she was so happy and proud of herself. She definitely reverted once she saw the syringes. Lol

- a week later- hubby surprised her with a bright pink 10ML syringe as a gift just for her so she could play with it whenever she wanted ;)

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
- a week later- hubby surprised her with a bright pink 10ML syringe as a gift just for her so she could play with it whenever she wanted ;)
I just wish I could do that. Loki ADORES plastic... I'm terrified of it.. I know of cases when the birdies literally starved to death because of plastic accumulated in their stomachs :(

Anyways.. must be quite the thing too see a birdie playing doctors ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh and I noticed that the feathers got a glossy shine.
Yes, that is one of the main things that is a benefit of Red Palm Oil. LOL