• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red palm oil - opinions needed

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
After reading everything I could find online plus the previous posts here I came to the decision I will be giving Loki red palm oil.
I also asked my vet about it but the answer was inconclusive :huh:
It is my understanding that AGs can find palm fruit in the wild.
I think the 100 ml over 400g of pellets, the way Harrisons recommends it is way too much fat.
Loki can't fly yet.. so too much fat is a concern.
He is fed Harrisons high potency, Tops and Hagen high performance and a variety of fresh fruit in the morning and veggies in the afternoon. Aditionally he gets sprouted seeds. Sunflower seeds plus almond bits are used for training.
My plan is to give him red palm oil once a week, 2ml, via syringe... (one stone two birds kinda thing:)
Oh and his weight is 390g, give or take 2g.

Thoughts?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our CAG will lick it off a spoon. She loves the stuff. You can mix it in any food. I stir it in cooked mashed sweet potatoes, chopped fresh veggies, birdy bread, etc.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
@Toy 'Cos most birds love it I think giving it through a syringe would be helpful if I'll ever need to administer meds... to make a syringe something he'll go gaga for.. gulp down without question :lol:
Did you notice any changes in your bird, is it flighted?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Many parrots feed on palm nuts in the wild - South America is full of the palms that produce Red Palm Oil ( as is India and Africa - much more than is in indonesia). Many people worry about the Orangutans, but there are many other sources of palm oil.

Fat is not Fat, is not Fat, is not Fat. Red Palm Oil (RPO) has 50% saturated fats as opposed to coconut oil's 100%.

Please read this by Dr. Harrison - it should answer any questions or doubts that you may have.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use it once a week mixed with Harrison's HP mash for Ripley :) I would say 1/2 a tsp in a mix of 1 tbsp mash and 1 tbsp sweet potato baby food. He doesn't eat all of it so he is consuming less than that of course.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My GW macaw gets 1/2 ml per day and has for at least the last 15 years.
She has had atherosclerosis since she was 6 1/2 the year I got her (21 years ago). Her atherosclerosis has increased every year - on the other hand my vet says she would have died 10 years ago without everything we have done. I believe that regular RPO is one of the things that has kept her alive.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My flock gets a tiny bit of Nutiva organic RPO daily. They all absolutely love it!

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
My GW macaw gets 1/2 ml per day and has for at least the last 15 years.
She has had atherosclerosis since she was 6 1/2 the year I got her (21 years ago). Her atherosclerosis has increased every year - on the other hand my vet says she would have died 10 years ago without everything we have done. I believe that regular RPO is one of the things that has kept her alive.
And your love, care and the comfort you provided. Of that I'm sure!

Thankyou for the reply!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Saya has a slightly enlarged liver (most birds do)- so no palm oil.
Dimitri is an eclectus- so no palm oil.
My O's (elegant parrots- breeders) get trace amount in their chop.

It is concentrated, so fat content must be considered. In the wild, it would be minimal, and not lump sums. High fat = high pleasure... but everything in moderation.
It is better for some species more than others as granivourus parrots will react differently than others.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
@Hawk12237 Those are my concerns exactly..
I imagine that in the wild, any parrot must first fly to the tree, wait its turn, fight for it even or steal a fruit from another one... All that to maybe get just a tiny chunk of red palm fruit.
In captivity it is offered on a silver platter so to speak.
I make Loki run around the house, forage and so on.. But the energy consumption just isn't there as he is flightless. Even when he'll be fully flighted ( I guestimate some time late october), the energy consumption is nowhere near to a wild birds.
I also searched for red palm fruit... which would be a great foraging activity and the way nature intended. I can order some frozen from the UK, but it would spoil before reaching me :meh:.
Hence the thread... And the questions.
Thanks for the reply.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My boy has been getting RPO daily for months now as well as it being used in his bread and other cooked foods......after his very recent blood test which I am told all looks fine I have discussed the RPO dose with AA members who are familiar with it and use it regular and have done so for a long time, I now know I can safely give Burt about double the amount I was giving him.
I totally trust their judgments on RPO as they have both dealt with very very unwell birds and managed to keep them not only alive but happy and healthy.
I did slack off with his doses for a while when we first moved till I got back into the swing of things again and it was so obvious in his new feathers that something in his diet had changed as he had weak spots and lines in many places in small sections of all the new feathers growing in :(
My neighbor has so many different palm trees (the fruits mostly all look the same to me though) but I am not sure what all of them are and I got scared about foraging for the palm nuts as some one told me there are some that are slightly toxic and give you a high or make you hallucinate.....I do not know how true this is and I got kinda paranoid about feeding any of them to Burt after that. Hopefully when the Arborist comes to cut down this sick tree in the yard I can ask him and maybe identify some I can safely use for Burt. Not sure if any of them are Red palm fruit though.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
My boy has been getting RPO daily for months now as well as it being used in his bread and other cooked foods......after his very recent blood test which I am told all looks fine I have discussed the RPO dose with AA members who are familiar with it and use it regular and have done so for a long time, I now know I can safely give Burt about double the amount I was giving him.
I totally trust their judgments on RPO as they have both dealt with very very unwell birds and managed to keep them not only alive but happy and healthy.
I did slack off with his doses for a while when we first moved till I got back into the swing of things again and it was so obvious in his new feathers that something in his diet had changed as he had weak spots and lines in many places in small sections of all the new feathers growing in :(
My neighbor has so many different palm trees (the fruits mostly all look the same to me though) but I am not sure what all of them are and I got scared about foraging for the palm nuts as some one told me there are some that are slightly toxic and give you a high or make you hallucinate.....I do not know how true this is and I got kinda paranoid about feeding any of them to Burt after that. Hopefully when the Arborist comes to cut down this sick tree in the yard I can ask him and maybe identify some I can safely use for Burt. Not sure if any of them are Red palm fruit though.
Fresh palm fruit! Now that would be ideal!
May I ask what is the approximate weekly dosage and how much does Burt weigh?
Also: please send pics of your macaw :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The daily amount I have been told will be fine is 1/2 a ml. Burt’s weight is approx 1170g can go either side of that by a little bit.
EC4E9F0C-341B-49E9-9B6E-8292C911EDA7.jpeg

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Burt’s weight is approx 1170g can go either side of that by a little bit
So majestic! I just imagined the Lion King scene of Rafiki holding up cub simba BAAAAAAA ZAAAMBANIAAA!!!!