• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red palm oil- brand? dosage?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I want to start Rosie, my senior tiel, on red palm oil. Is there a certain brand that's better than others? Also, how much daily would I give a cockatiel? I'm assuming I can just put it on his food? I mainly want to give it to him because his feet are very dry and flaky. Or would coconut oil be better?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would just remember- palm oil goes through the liver and entire system before getting to the skin. It can be used often in birds like MAcaws, but can cause issues in most other species if in excess- if anything, a small smear of food, but then dosage is not exact.

When you say 'dry feet' is common, especially in older birds.
Personally I would say filtered water baths- much better as hard water can also cause dry skin.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would just remember- palm oil goes through the liver and entire system before getting to the skin. It can be used often in birds like MAcaws, but can cause issues in most other species if in excess- if anything, a small smear of food, but then dosage is not exact.

When you say 'dry feet' is common, especially in older birds.
Personally I would say filtered water baths- much better as hard water can also cause dry skin.
Do you think I just give him a different supplement? Rosie is 30. So super old for a cockatiel. His diet generally is good. But his feet are dry. Do you think coconut oil would be better?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use Nutiva as it's ethically made and readily found online. I only use it once or twice a week for a vitamin A boost. I use literally a few drops to a tiny drizzle :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Nutiva is also found in some grocery stores.. I bought mine in Kroger... 7.49.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think most of are using Nutiva now, it is reasonable, of good quality and not from Indonesia. It will last forever for you - you can give it to all of your birds - it does wonders for their feathers. Take a look at Macawnutz's birds they are all on RPO and all shine like a new penny. My Jasper, no matter how sick she is, her feathers are great quality and shiny.RPO is very high in omega 3 and

The dosage is not critical - my 1,100 gm macaw gets .5ml per day and has for 20 years. Coconut oil is oil only and has no nutritional value, no vitamins and no minerals. RPO is high in Vit A and Vit E - here is an article by Dr. Harrison about RPO.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Do you think I just give him a different supplement? Rosie is 30. So super old for a cockatiel. His diet generally is good. But his feet are dry. Do you think coconut oil would be better?
Just like in humans, it is often the water consumption that causes dry skin. I would instead try giving a good avian friendly tea, or coconut water (free choice). I am always weary when people apply topical as it can often end up on feathers. But you could always try the world tiniest amount of coconut oil on the feet (I mean the world smallest).

When my guys are molting, etc. I give the tiniest smear of red palm oil on warm Quionoa- protein helps with feather development and it mixes in nicely (while warm). Then I can refrigerate it and rest assured it is mixed in evenly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
His feet are supposed to be dry and “scaly”. That is normal. They use their feet to help regulate body temperature and oiling them up will just clog the pores hindering them from doing their job.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Diet is generally good. No supplement needed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
His feet are supposed to be dry and “scaly”. That is normal. They use their feet to help regulate body temperature and oiling them up will just clog the pores hindering them from doing their job.
I didn't mean to put anything on his feet but was thinking he might need a supplement. They just seem more dry and flaky than my other birds'. Normal maybe because he's older?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A tiny bit of RPO is fine. At his age you don’t want to be changing much. If it ain’t broke. Don’t fix it.
Good point. That's why I still give him his Petamine. I don't quite understand it but he's always been given it so...