• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Opaline Female x Orange Opaline Male Peachfaced Lovebirds

Popeye333

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey Everyone,

Wasn't able to find my answer online, so hoping someone here can help me. I've had birds throughout my life, but I'm relatively new to breeding lovebirds.
Last year I bought a pair of peach-faced opalines. The female has a lime body red face and the male has a green face and green body.

I recently found out that opaline is a sex-linked mutation. So, my question is, if the babies have an orange face, is it correct to say that they are male? Also, if they have a red face, they are female?

Thanks!

Attachments

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Ooh, that's a great question! I don't actually know, (sigh, I'm trying to find out too) but I will say that your birds are beautiful!! :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No. Opaline and orange face are two entirely separate mutations. Also, all of the offspring will be opaline since both parents are visual. Orange faced is a recessive mutation so unless the female is split to the mutation, none of the babies will be visually orange faced, but will all be split to it.

Popeye333

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks everyone. So far, they've had 2 clutches with 4 orange heads and 1 red head.

Just so I understand better, if orange faced is the recessive mutation, does that mean red is dominant? So then the mother would have to be a orange/red split?

MBBirdsNV

Moving in
Real Name
Kimberly Smith
It is possible that the mom is split to OH because Ive not seen a Lime opaline with a red head. The ones I see are usually orange head.

It will be easier to identify gender on babies if theyre paired to non opalines. But to get Visual Opaline Male and Femalez youd need an opa x opa breeding.

Beautiful birds goodluck!