• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

red meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
I'm having Steak and veggies for supper tonight, and of course, Eddie decided that *my* dinner was much better than his. So first he ate all of the peas out of their shells :mad::rofl: and then he decided he didn't want potato; he wanted the steak!:confused: I only let him have the teeniest tiniest piece, but he seemed to enjoy it. Certainly this is not a type of food that he would get regularly. Do your birds have a similar carnivorous predilection?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sheba LOVES steak & chicken, hamburger. Like you, I only give her a tiny amount, only when it is lean & well done.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Danny enjoys a little roast lamb if it's on offer and also doesnt mind gnawing on a t-bone for the marrow.

I swear they're all the other types of pets wrapped up in feathers... :hehe:

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
ummmmmm YEAH, eve is a carnivore, well not really but vasa's need their animal protein! Eve love fish, chicken, turkey, shrimp.........But i stay away from red meat.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I was told that birds are supposed to have some protein.... I dunno tho, I suppose as most would eat bugs out on the wild???

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Yes, my birdies will go after the meat if that is our dinner. Akon, (Poi) especially, loves steak!

hsmoscout

I was told that birds are supposed to have some protein.... I dunno tho, I suppose as most would eat bugs out on the wild???
You'd be suprised how much protien is in the seeds, nuts, and even the pellets that make up a bird's diet...

Birdzee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maddie
I've never given Newbie any meat but would like to try it..
What is the best way to cook it???
thanksss

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Bugs protein is very different than animal protein, it is fat (for the most part) and cholesterol free for one thing and has way more vitamins and fatty acids than meat, and less protein than meat. If using meat, just be careful to not go over board! Too much protein is very hard on the kidneys and can put your bird into hormonal over drive! And it can make amazons aggressive. So limit it to once or twice a week. and use small amounts. I'm not a fan of red meat for birds, too high in cholesterol. I once read an article about amazons and cholesterol..... turns out healthy amazons cholesterol level is the same for humans, but when they tested a a group of them that were feed how most people feed them....their levels were around 600!!!!!! YIKES!!!!! So to each their own, but keep that in mind!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds do need protein but there are many forms of it other than meat.

This is just for the record. I'm not directing this to anyone in particular.

The discussion starts with chicken and fish in moderation and degrades into beef, pork, sausage, bacon (yes bacon), dog food, cat food, monkey chow, blah blah blah.

Meat eaters have incisor teeth for ripping meat and molars for grinding meat. Parrots have beaks for gently shredding leafs, shoots, fruits, buds, roots, nuts and the occasional grub or insect. They are not meat eaters and if we feed them much at all, we are decreasing their lifespans. Talk to your veterinarian about the meaning of moderation. It is more like once every week to month and a very small amount about the size of the end of our small finger. It is not much at all. Many very reputable vets discourage any meat. If they are fed any meat it should only be chicken and fish, the very lightest meats.

If your bird will eat any legume (bean) and brown rice, it is getting every amino acid and protein that it needs. Parrots do not require animal protein.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
If your bird will eat any legume (bean) and brown rice, it is getting every amino acid and protein that it needs. Parrots do not require animal protein.
Good to know!! Thank you John!!:D

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
Cool! This was the first time that I ever let him have a bit, mostly because he was putting his dirty birdy feet all over my plate to get at the steak! :rofl: He had a piece that was literally the size of my pinky nail. Don't worry, I'm not planning on making steak a part of his diet, I was just curious if it was normal. Good to know that other birds seem to like it too. Eddie is such a good little eater that I never need to worry about him getting a balanced diet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.