• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Lory Diet- Fruits Low In Vitamin C & Iron?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
My rescue has a red lory whose current diet is nectar, with a bit of applesauce or frozen blueberries on the side. Grapes as a treat. I didn't think much of it, until I was told not to give her any fresh blueberries. They explained they were higher in vitamin C, and it should be avoided to prevent iron storage disease. So I've been delving into to the research hole, to see if such a strict diet is appropriate. I liked these two sites, that were the clearest on specific levels in fruit. What fruits do you feed your lory? Does freezing fruit lower the vitamin C or iron? I am just overall curious to learn more about the detailed diet.

Notes from a Lory Lover - The Oasis Sanctuary (the-oasis.org)

Lorikeets: Low Iron Diets | Arizona Exotics | -Other Parrots Resources (azeah.com)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am not positive but given that frozen fruit and veg are generally packaged much closer to the actual harvest day I would think they would have higher amounts of all vitamins.

I know that in many cases frozen veggies have more nutritional value to them than the fresh options we get at stores which have been sitting about loosing nutrients till we buy them.

@Mizzely Might have more concrete info regarding freezing.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
@Mizzely:bump4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't have a Lory, and haven't done much reading into the needs of them or high/low iron foods.

The freezing thing, it depends on how it was prepared. Cutting and blanching actually gets rid of more vitamin C than the freezing does, though freezing does kill some too, especially the longer it is frozen. You're still looking at probably 50-60% of vitamin C remaining.

Iron as far as I know survives freezing very well. Cooking destroys iron in meat very well, so I imagine it would in fruits too.