• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Lored Amazons

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
I have posted around about various rehomes in my area that I could adopt but none of them worked out... Now there is an add on CL for a tame "female" red lored amazon who is five years old. She is supposedly well socialized as she will step up for almost anyone and likes to have scritches and hang out.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pet/1421255733.html

I have never had a "med-large" sized bird before only a conure... She sounds nice and I'd like to adopt my next bird but I am very hesitant. Does anyone here have a red lored? I have heard great things about them. Also, is five years old very old for an amazon?

What do you think? Adopt or not and why? Thanks in advance for your help! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I have never had a Red Lored, but like you, I have heard wonderful things about them. 5 years old is not very old for an amazon. I'd at least go visit her, check out her situation, see what she is like, etc before making a decision. Ask lots of questions, see if she lets you handle her and allow scritches. Good luck and keep us posted.

TITANIS

:welcome:

The RLA is a very nice Amazon species. Think LCA and MRH for similar character and temperament. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I LOOOOVE my Red Lored. He's only two, but he's very funny, a good talker, very active and happy.

My Zon boys have been together today the first day for over 12 hours hangin' out.

He is very sweet. Wasn't nasty at all to the new baby, above who will be 5 mos old on the 19th. 5 is not old for an Amazon, after all, they can live up 75 yrs! So 5 is still in my eyes just a little kid. ;)

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
5 is not old for an amazon.
RL's are known to have very good dispositions.

When looking at a rescue, the only way to really know is to go spend some time w/ the bird and the current owner(s). Ask as many qustions as you can think of ... interact w/ the bird ... watch the current owner interact w/ the bird.

My original amazon was a wildcaught. I had him 20+ years. I've met several over the years in their 30's & 40's - they have average lifespans of about 50 - 60's.

If you decide to go visit the bird ~ let us know how it goes.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Thanks so much for all your input! I really, really appreciate it! I want my next bird to be a rehome so I am always looking around, but I am very cautious. I replied to the ad and the owner said that if I am interested that I needed to fill out a questionair which I did and sent back to him (which I think is wonderful considering the bird isn't really his, it was his deceased mother's, and I think it really shows great character). Now I am just waiting for a reply from him about my survey, etc. We will see how this goes.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I have two amazons, and if I could add another the RLAs would be what I would consider. They seem to be very sweet birds.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Out of all the amazons I have been around, dealt with and handled. I still favor the Red Lored's the best. Absolutely the best temperment, loud just how I like them, sweet, cuddly, GREEN(lol), and overall great amazon specie.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
Our Red Lored is 20 + at least, wild caught and neglected for much of his life. When he first came to live with us no one could get near him, his diet was a nightmare and he was in very rough shape. He has been with us almost 2 yrs now and is the best companion one could hope for. He only has a small vocabulary, but is very vocal and likes to quack. He snuggles and gives kisses to me, rarely steps up though. He lives cage free in our home as a valued member of our family. He cannot fly though as he was pinioned. If given the chance I would adopt another in a heartbeat! I find him to be a true joy!

TITANIS

Our Red Lored is 20 + at least, wild caught and neglected for much of his life. When he first came to live with us no one could get near him, his diet was a nightmare and he was in very rough shape. He has been with us almost 2 yrs now and is the best companion one could hope for. He only has a small vocabulary, but is very vocal and likes to quack. He snuggles and gives kisses to me, rarely steps up though. He lives cage free in our home as a valued member of our family. He cannot fly though as he was pinioned. If given the chance I would adopt another in a heartbeat! I find him to be a true joy!
Very interesting story. Would like to see pictures in a new thread if possible. :)

Besta3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jackie
I am showing my ignorance, what does it mean when a bird is pinioned? I am in agreement tho, I will only have rescue birds from here on out. I had no idea there were so many companion birds in shelters. This web site is great with the educating, too.

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
I am showing my ignorance, what does it mean when a bird is pinioned? I am in agreement tho, I will only have rescue birds from here on out. I had no idea there were so many companion birds in shelters. This web site is great with the educating, too.
Pinioning is a surgical procedure where they remove part of the wing at the joint. Thus disabling a birds flight. It was believed to make the bird more tame:mad: and was common at certain quarantine stations in the U.S. Thankfully it is illegal now and you can and will be charged for doing it.

If I could give one thing back to Maggie it would be his flight! Amazons are among the most gifted when it comes to flight. They can fly sideways, upside down and backwards in the wild. He occasionaly tries to fly so we have to be very dilligent in keeping him safe. It is heartbreaking to watch him!

Really because it is not legal now it is not common to come across a pinioned bird so it is not really ignorance. It is only because of Maggie that I found out about the procedure.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Pinioning is a surgical procedure where they remove part of the wing at the joint. Thus disabling a birds flight. It was believed to make the bird more tame:mad: and was common at certain quarantine stations in the U.S. Thankfully it is illegal now and you can and will be charged for doing it.

If I could give one thing back to Maggie it would be his flight! Amazons are among the most gifted when it comes to flight. They can fly sideways, upside down and backwards in the wild. He occasionaly tries to fly so we have to be very dilligent in keeping him safe. It is heartbreaking to watch him!

Really because it is not legal now it is not common to come across a pinioned bird so it is not really ignorance. It is only because of Maggie that I found out about the procedure.
This is absolutley horrible and cruel to do. It is heartbreaking removing the gift of freedom flight or trying to remove what comes natural.

Sorry to hear this, mine are fully flighted and fly everyday. Hugs to your Zon Cannuck :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.