• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red fronted macaw owners

MaxwellEdison

Meeting neighbors
I have a young red fronted macaw he (or she) will be 2 in January. He is such a great bird, full of personality. How much do their temperaments change when they get older. Corny is such a joy to have and I’m worried that he will begin to hate my kids and attack them when he is older or hate my husband. He already isn’t fond of my 13 year old son, but I think that’s because Corny knows my son gets nervous about getting bit.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump7:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Children generally are not the favorites of macaws. Children move to fast and jerky and a bird doesn't know what to think of that. Also, sometimes children are too noisy and rambunctious for a macaw. Not the bird's fault. They are a prey animal.

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Our cockatoo is nervous around our kids, and it's acceptable that he is, but he is a large bird and it would be dangerous if he tried to bite. We have a 3 year old and a newborn. We've got Chipper a large playstand in the kitchen with a masking tape line on the floor around it to show our toddler Ellen where not to go. It's handy for guests too. We also have a baby gate to keep her out of the kitchen if I have to run upstairs or something, just in case.
In addition to keeping their distance, we've been doing some counter conditioning, basically making Chipper realize that good things happen to him when the girls are around. Last week, he ate treats from my hand which was on the dining room table, and Ellen was at the other end of the table playing Play Doh. I think it is possible for birds and kids to live in peace, though our girls won't be touching Chipper for a long time.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Also, we got Chipper as an adult, and he has formed a pair bond with me and dislikes my husband. I think it would be important to ensure every member of the family has a platonic bond, so nobody is 'the chosen one.' We are working with a trainer to eliminate the pair bond so he and my husband can interact safely. Right now, they interact only to do target training.

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
What I do is at snack time I have one other member of the fam give my macaw a treat in hopes to eliminate the “I hate that person” behaviors. Works ok..

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I've never had a red front, but had a military, and fostered a B&G. My experience with macaws around children...ehhh, they'll come to tolerate them, but not necessarily like them.
If that makes sense.
Macaws like things done slowly so they can analyze it and digest what's going on. Fast pace environment can make for an uneasy macaw.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrots in general tend to choose their favorite not unlike people. Slow movements and soft spoken has worked for our flock best with treat in hand for all family members. Later during their hormonal years, they are likely to choose a human mate, if they don’t have a parrot friend, and who they can become jealous of and protect. Doesn’t mean other family members can’t interact as well but each bird is different. Showing Love, attention and play fun wins in most cases. :)

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you. I think I will try the snack thing.

For finger safety, especially if your bird is nippy, have them offer the treat in a manor that the bird must reach slightly for it.

I've had my fingers nipped at times, and the treat ignored. Of course this was with my testy adult GW.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My RFM's are breeders so they aren't handled at all. I work part-time at a local bird store and we've had 2 RFM chicks since August. One had a really sweet personality and we all missed her when she went home. Her owner brings her in once in a while and she acts like she's seeing all of her old friends again. She wants to interact with every one of us who took care of her. The youngest one has a bolder personality and is far more outgoing and in your face. Still very sweet, but also very determined to do what she wants. I think she will settle down a little as she matures. The FRM we have is far easier to deal with than the Scarlet that's been at the store.

We understand that at some point we're going to get bit, so we try to learn the bird's personality. Once you know their quirks and body language, you can avoid it. Having the kids give treats, but making the bird earn it is a good idea. Making the bird lean out to get it keeps little fingers safe because they have less room to lunge. It helps kids learn respect for the bird, and builds their confidence that they can do it and feel safe about it. If you're nervous handling them, they pick up on that. Sometimes their mischievous personalities get the best of them and they take advantage of it.