• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Faced Mousebird Family Pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
Here is a family pic of my Red faced Mousebirds N'kane (the Hen) and Peace
(the male) with their March '09 baby, Azizi. Azizi is now living in a wonderful
aviary with barbets and pekin robins at the home of a world respected aviculturalist in California. I have never met before two birds (or humans)that are so in love with each other. Both the male and female I acquired at different times under different circumstances. When they were finally introduced to each other it was love at first sight. The pair have been inseparable and have successfully produced three babies for me so far.

P1000121.jpg

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Wow..thank you for sharing. Very pretty.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesome, they are beautiful! Isn't there something different about mousebirds from other birds? Is it their legs?

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
There are two physiological differences that are unique to mousebirds: their pelvic girdle and hipjoints are constructed in such a way where they actually squat splay- legged and do not perch. For this reason they are not considered Passerines (perching birds). If you observe them on a perch or branch you will notice that they squat or sit on it. The other difference is toe placement. Mousebirds can point all four of their toes forward. They can also use their feet in a similar fashion to parrots and hold a morsel of food to nibble on it.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You have no idea of how happy I am to see you here with Mousebirds! YEARS ago, on another forum, mousebirds were brought up and NO ONE knew ANYTHING about them....
So looking to get to know you and your fids and they are beautiful and interesting....
Please continue to educate us!:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Yes please share more info. They are fascinating little ones. They sure are pretty too.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What an adorable pic with their baby :heart: It is great to hear about them! I did not know they could hold food and nibble on it like a parrot would, that is really neat :D What do they sound like?

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
It's too bad they are not popular as pets. They are NOT an endangered species and in fact are considered a nuisance by some South Africans because family groups consume fruit crops (along the same fashion as cockatoos eating grain in Australia). They are hardy birds but are frugivores, so their droppings can be messy along the lines of lories. Unfortunately they lack the brilliant coloration of psittacines and the ability to mimic speech. But they have wonderful personalities and when hand reared are very cuddly and love to be near their owners. They will play with toys also. Thy would make a good pet bird for kids because they can't bite like parrots (the worst they can do is a pinch) and they don't have loud voices. Budgies can bite far worse than mousebirds. And now Africa has completely closed exportation of these guys, so whatever birds you can currently find nationally by other breeders right now is all that's available. My speckled mousebird would sit in the palm of my hand for hours if given the chance and have me gently stroke her back and throat.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, that sound delightful! Thanks you for educating us on such fascinating little birds. How long do they live?

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
They can live generally speaking as long as a budgie. The longest lived one I am aware of
was one named Pumpkin who lived with a lory breeder in Central California. Pumpkin lived to be 16 years old and shared the lorys' nectar. Their voices are melodic and almost sound like a high pitched laugh. Their alarm call is funny and sounds like the complaint of most songbirds.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
oooh they're beautiful!

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Aw, how cute!!! :dancing:

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
How interesting and adorable. I'd love to see videos of them.

TITANIS

It's too bad they are not popular as pets. They are NOT an endangered species and in fact are considered a nuisance by some South Africans because family groups consume fruit crops (along the same fashion as cockatoos eating grain in Australia). They are hardy birds but are frugivores, so their droppings can be messy along the lines of lories.
They are becoming better known and gradually more available. I am nearly clueless about this family and would be very interested to know more about them. I think softbills in general are overlooked. Thankfully this is slowly changing. Too many great species out there. I would like if you post a thread from time to time about these birds, or any other softbill species you may be familiar with. :cool3:

Coliephile

Meeting neighbors
Ahh... the charisma of the lowly colie. To site an example: back in March I took two of my mousebirds to an ASA Conference in San Diego. A friend of mine was giving a presentation on them and asked me to bring my tame ones to 'show off' to other aviculturalists. A well respected international rare waterfowl breeder from Germany was so taken by them that he was going to acquire some for a special indoor aviary at his home. He has special importation permits because he's part of an international breeding consortium. Here is a person who raises some of the rarest geese, swans, ducks, and auks interested in goofy ubiquitous mousebirds. I am hoping through his assistance that interested breeders (such as I) can again acquire the white headed mousebird from Africa to start a cooperative breeding project (I know two other interested breeders)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I nearly missed this thread glad it bounced back up.

As far as human contact do they like it if they tame, do they like head scritches and interaction?

Are they more of an aviary bird or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.