• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red eye birds

Tondoboy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Albert Guevarra
Hello everyone, newbie here, I’ve been hearing alot about the issue that we’re not suppose to pair/breed both red eye birds, I would like to know what could possibly be the problem if we do
Thanks for anyone who can give an advice on this

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If you are serious about breeding I highly suggest that you join a local parrot society. The red-eye birds you are referring to are likely fallow parrotlets.

It is bad form to pair birds together without knowing the full family history. Crossing related birds can cause many genetic and health issues. Please reconsider breeding without proper guidance. I don't know anything about your birds. Are they from the same breeder? Are they siblings? Crossing mutations without understanding their full history can lead to weak or sickly birds- shortened lifespans - occurrences of tumors and cancers. If your birds were hand raised by humans, you have no way of knowing that they will make good bird parents. Are you prepared to handfeed them if the chicks are rejected from the nest? What about the veterinary services for the new additions?

I will reiterate that joining a recognised parrot society or species specific club is my suggestion. You can learn from people in your community, who are available to help and who know the bloodlines you are working with. If you want to breed, it must be done to promote the health and wellbeing of the birds.

Last edited: