• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Red crop looks like dried blood

Kiwiamazon

Moving in
Real Name
Rim
Hello I am New in this forum, I have a 10 week old mexican red headed amazon parro
. I had my Amazon parrot at the vet for blood in stool and squinting an eye. After five days his eye looks better, no more blood in the stool. Chem profile came back normal and he is on antibiotic and other meds.

today I just realized he has a read area on his crop and I’m not sure if he did it to himself or what is the cause. I do not feed him anything hot, just warm formula, there is no way is a crop burn. I’m really worried and don’t know what to do please help :( any advice? I attached some pictures. It is not ruptured nor there is a whole in his crop.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Babies are not my area, but I know formula needs to be at a consistent temperature. Do you keep a thermometer on the formula you are feeding?

Have you contacted the vet regarding this spot?

Kiwiamazon

Moving in
Real Name
Rim
Babies are not my area, but I know formula needs to be at a consistent temperature. Do you keep a thermometer on the formula you are feeding?

Have you contacted the vet regarding this spot?
I don’t! I put it on my hand and I try to keep it warm but not hot at all. I tried but he did not respond :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I would be concerned about that area. It looks to be below the crop. With the missing feathers makes me wonder if that was self inflicted as in mutilating?

You really should have a Vet check this out.

Kiwiamazon

Moving in
Real Name
Rim
Yeah we are taking him to the avian clinic tomorrow morning. He’s had missing feathers there’s since we got him, but that red area was not looking like that yesterday so it kind of freaked us out, we also think he might have plucked some feathers and hurt himself. The vet saw the picture and he said he might put a cone on him so he does not harm himself further while we figure out what happened

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A crop burn starts on the inside and will work itself out, that may or may not be your problem, also blood in the poo may or may not be the problem of a burned crop,,,but it is possible ..if it is a burned crop, most likely happened before you got him...takes time to show up.. I'm not a vet, but, definitely find out for sure,,, He will pick at it if its bothering him..A friend of mine has a blue and gold, when she had him a couple weeks, he developed a scab on the outside of his crop, when she went to clean it, scab came off and food came out, she called me crying,, I told her it wasn't her, it was breeder..the vet fixed it, hope your baby will be ok.. :hug8:

Kiwiamazon

Moving in
Real Name
Rim
A crop burn starts on the inside and will work itself out, that may or may not be your problem, also blood in the poo may or may not be the problem of a burned crop,,,but it is possible ..if it is a burned crop, most likely happened before you got him...takes time to show up.. I'm not a vet, but, definitely find out for sure,,, He will pick at it if its bothering him..A friend of mine has a blue and gold, when she had him a couple weeks, he developed a scab on the outside of his crop, when she went to clean it, scab came off and food came out, she called me crying,, I told her it wasn't her, it was breeder..the vet fixed it, hope your baby will be ok.. :hug8:
Vet thinks he did it himself :( maybe stress?? He’s been going through so many changes lately. I am trying to create a routine and find out what makes him feel comfortable. So far, he loves the bathroom and the humid air/steam when we shower. I make sure there is nothing around him so he doesn’t eat anything or harm himself and put him on a towel so he’s feet are comfortable. Today the scab looks better like it kinda healed overnight, it even looks smaller. Vet is going to see him this afternoon
Thank you for your help and good wishes :grouphug3: