• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recurrent Clostridial infection

WeeHolly

Checking out the neighborhood
We knew something was wrong with Cookie when the living-room started to smell like rotting cheese... that was the first symptom even before she looked ill. We think she got it from a small cloacal injury from laying (streaks of blood on the egg). We treated her with Chloramphenicol per the vet’s prescription, and 2 weeks later the smell came back, and she was deteriorating faster than the first bout. She’s back on the meds, but I’m having a tough time finding info online beyond ‘yeah, it’s bad’ and I don’t have time atm to do a vet journal search. I’m hoping someone can help with some questions!
1. is this going to go on forever or will we eventually get on top of it?
2. Can it be spread airborne? I think mo but I want to double check. Our conure is 15 feet away and there is never any contact. Cookie is an angry bird and doesn’t come out so there’s no poop outside her cage.
3. is it transmissible to humans? Should we be wearing gloves/masks when disinfecting?
I am sure I will think of more...

thanks in advance!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can cure clostridium, but it can be quite a job. Clostridium produces toxins that can remain in the bird's body after the bacteria is defeated and these toxins can make it very ill.

I'm not knowledgeable about chloramphenicol and perhaps asking your vet these questions would be more productive.

No clostridium is not zoonotic.