• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recovering sun conure is now a wheat addict...

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Hello everyone,

I have a sun conure who has gone through an intense course of antibiotics, antifungals, and NSAIDs since the 20th of December. He is finally on only Nystatin for a slight yeast budding in his last gram stain. However since he started eating on his own again he has become obsessed with wheat found in his seed mix and his Nuturiberries. Is it related to the digestive ease of wheat or is he craving it due to yeast? He is just off antibiotics and his hard antifungal interconazole as of a few days ago. Should I be concerned? If so what should I offer instead? He is on a no fruit diet and he won't really touch his veggies yet. I plan on picking up some hand feeding mix from a friend. Not sure what brand she uses but it is sorta chunky with bits of carrots, peas, and other veggies in it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What about pellets?

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Could never get him converted. When I got him he already seed only. Best compromise was the nutriberries and fresh fruits and veggies. Is there a brand/variety that you could recommend for an 20 year old stubborn Buddy?

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I didn't know why that didn't cross my mind. She usually has a mix of pellets available. I will check in tomorrow after I give her a call.

Jay

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I adopted a 19 year old seed-only eater. Took a bit to get him to pellets. Zupreem Fruity was the only one he would eat for the first few years. He's just now started to branch out!