• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommendations for Subscription Toy Boxes!

PrettyBirdy

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I recently got a better paying job :)yahoo:) And have decided that, since it will be easier for me to budget for now, and I am working longer hours, now would be a good time to find a monthly toy box for my flock. I have three fids right now: Sam (Canary Wing), Poncho (Mustache 'Keet) and Frankie (Goffins 'too). Frankie is, as expected, the most destruction and mentally demanding of the three, and she can go through macaw sized toys in a day if she really wants to, so getting her good toys is a priority. It's nice to have new fun toys for the others, but I can also make them foraging toys and such pretty easily at home.

Who has what subscription box? Reviews? Kind of birds you're providing for? I want to make sure that it's really worth while before I make any purchases.

Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My shop is currently on vacation as I just had a baby :) But I offer a US based mystery toy box called Bongo Box.

It starts at $15 + shipping and can be done every 30, 60, or 90 days. You can select what types of toys you want, then fill in details, and I customize a box based on your parameters. It is geared toward smaller birds for the most part. I encourage you to check out the type of toys I make prior to signing up so you can be sure it is the right fit.

Other boxes i know of on the avenue:

@Macawnutz (United States - I personally subscribe to this one as my bird is a beaver, and is a great value for the macaw sized toys)

@Danita (Canada)

@jerseybella (United States - also on break)

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
My flock gets their Seriouslynutz box once a month. I have a large flock. Several TOOs and Greys and one day another Macaw.
I get two of her boxes. A medium sized toy box and the large toy box. All together I spend $200 AND they are so worth every penny. What’s SO great though is if I see something in-particular or if I need something in-paricular @Macawnuts she is willing to adjust my box order. She also really cares about each and every individual flock member.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I do not currently offer a subscription box but if you send me money every month I will send you toys :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I do not currently offer a subscription box but if you send me money every month I will send you toys :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Please never stop selling those little cups! Anything that will hold goodies, really. But something about the the sound they make... Size and texture, I guess... It's a big hit for both of us! Did you get the tag on the photos? They're in the monologues, if you missed it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've only received Bongo Box & they're worth every penny especially if you have small to medium birds. I have an Amazon & he LOVES @Mizzely stuff. Too bad she's on Vacation.

I haven't gotten one from @Macawnutz yet, but her shop SeriouslyNuts is probably next on my list.

I've purchased stuff from all over online & by far our AA vendors are the top of the list!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I need to see pictures of peoples sub boxes :O

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one from Shawna that I'm going to take pics of. I'll upload just tge subscription portion here later as I just have time to check my PM's & happened to see this.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I have one from Shawna that I'm going to take pics of. I'll upload just tge subscription portion here later as I just have time to check my PM's & happened to see this.
Ditto when monaco's gets here.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I figured! Just wanted a super general idea and the presentation is important as well :rubhands:
My super general idea is anything in the store that matches what you say your bird likes :lol:. My presentation is just packaged with blank newsprint - safe for cage bottoms ;) and keeps the toys from getting smooshed as I use a lot of balsa, sola, and thin pine. Sometimes bubble wrap gets added if needed. It's not usually pretty packaging as I would prefer to focus on the toys!

If you request seasonal stuff, I try to add in that stuff as long as it fits your flock's preferences. I take photos of what I send (90% of the time, sometimes I just note the account) so I don't send the same stuff over and over again.

Amount of toys you get depends a lot on the price point. $15 boxes you are getting 1 to 2 toys or a toy and foot toys depending on your selections. $30+ usually gives me the most "wiggle room" for variety.

Some examples of box contents and then I'll stop talking ;)

IMG_20191124_211336~2.jpg IMG_20190414_132514.jpg IMG_20190607_112533.jpg IMG_20190911_231438.jpg IMG_20190714_130945.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I figured! Just wanted a super general idea and the presentation is important as well :rubhands:
Kenzie, if your lilac is a medium to heavy pine destroyer I think Shawna's would be good too! She makes items Buddy absolutely loves.

I may try something from Sarah next as I love the Ripley ganging toy she made. The one in Shawna's 1st pic. I think after Buddy got used to the large circle wafers, he'd maybe go crazy. @ least during hormone season. Our vendors beat all the conglomerate toys out on the market in the box stores. I want it all for Buddy but since funds are limited & the vet wanted 2 major purchases added into his toy $ allotment, those come 2nd to my fingers during hormones. Lol!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Kenzie, if your lilac is a medium to heavy pine destroyer I think Shawna's would be good too! She makes items Buddy absolutely loves.

I may try something from Sarah next as I love the Ripley ganging toy she made. The one in Shawna's 1st pic. I think after Buddy got used to the large circle wafers, he'd maybe go crazy. @ least during hormone season. Our vendors beat all the conglomerate toys out on the market in the box stores. I want it all for Buddy but since funds are limited & the vet wanted 2 major purchases added into his toy $ allotment, those come 2nd to my fingers during hormones. Lol!
I cannot recommend the Seriously Nutz boxes highly enough. They are always a treat for both Ripley and me!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh man.... Shawna do you really photograph and save order pictures? :rofl:

Every box of ours is different, literally no two boxes are the same and we run a bunch of them. My favorite ones to do are the ones I get a little feedback on. If customers post pictures or email me talking about the damage it really helps me adjust the toys going out. Not only are you adjusting toys for the birds but the owner always has an idea of how long the toys should last. :laugh: That's the biggest challenge. Some owners want toys to last a month or better, some owners think that if the toy is not destroyed in a week that the bird really didn't like it. If a toy is too tough most birds will give up chewing it, too easy and it's gone. See the dilemma? :D

I have "send me whatever" boxes and "super picky boxes" I really don't mind either way. You can email me before every box and make changes and adjustments. I just note the account and follow orders. ;)Often people ask me how many toys per $$ box and that depends. If I know you have two birds and you do a $50 box I will make sure they have even toys. If it's two macaws it will probably be two $25 toys and some foot toys. Smaller birds/toys would be more. You can request a certain amount of toys but they would be built within the budget.

Presentation? :cautious::laugh: Umm, It goes in a box with teal packing paper. Sometimes brown if my brown paper needs to be changed. :shy: I'm often asked why some of my toys are bagged and others not. Good question! If the dry time on the toy is less than a week I will not bag it unless it's a delicate toy. Most of my custom toys are built starting the day the order comes in so they won't be bagged unless the parts were dyed ahead of time. So, you get box, paper, toys, packing slip. I'm not much for presentation. :hilarious:

For those trying to decide which store to get a subscription with... Most of us use the same cart service. I have a customer that gets a box from me every 60 days and every 60 days gets a box from Shawna. So they get a box from me one month and the next month they get a box from her. Back and forth. Decision solved. You could do that with Danita too and run it every 90 days. I can't speak for every store but the three of us have 30, 60, 90 day intervals.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Such lovely toys displayed, folks! Thank you @Mizzely and @Macawnutz - I really like the idea of switching between boxes, too. That may be my goal, then! I would love throwing support to you small business owners and fellow bird lovers.

@Rain Bow - Mexican Red Head not Lilac :D. Don't you have a MRH Amazon, too? Yah she loves softer woods, actually and small woods to hold and chew. I am still exploring toys with her, actually!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such lovely toys displayed, folks! Thank you @Mizzely and @Macawnutz - I really like the idea of switching between boxes, too. That may be my goal, then! I would love throwing support to you small business owners and fellow bird lovers.

@Rain Bow - Mexican Red Head not Lilac :D. Don't you have a MRH Amazon, too? Yah she loves softer woods, actually and small woods to hold and chew. I am still exploring toys with her, actually!
Yeah! What the heck was I thinking? I know that. Sorry Kenzie, I get brain fog & not using my Cpap makes it really bad. I just went 3 weeks (almost) w/ out because I've had a respiratory virus that knocked me down. I'll get you photos of Shawna's box, I didn't forget just been really ill w/ another issue. Can't even pick the box up because of how bad I feel. I just didnt want you to think I forgot. I like tge idea Sarah has about the 30-60-90 days. I haven't had time to build a dang thing. If it goes much longer Buddy's going to walk down my street petitioning for a new owner who has new toys! :ohdrama::lol: