• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommendation for Calcium/ Mineral Block

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Hello. I am wondering what do you guys give to your birds. Cuttlebone, or mineral blocks?

I am currently giving both cuttlebone and Zoo Med Vegetable Bird Banquet Block to my cockatiels. My both cockatiels seem to like them. I see that Zoo Med Vegetable block has artificial fruit flavor, so should i change with original formula or something else?

I just read that twist ties are not safe for birds, and these mineral blocks come with twist ties attached to them. Should I be concerned? My one cockatiel like to destroy/ eat that mineral block, so she can get to the twist ties part and play with it. Should I be concerned?

Any recommendation?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not give either ;) But, I feed pellets. These items were marketed or designed to keep seed eating birds from dyeing from malnutrition.

Cuttlebone I am against giving because it from one of my favorite animals - cuttlefish - which are very intelligent, and as an ocean product I worry about contaminants. Additionally, it is a poorly absorbed form of calcium so it is not even a GOOD source of the one nutrient it claims to be.

As for the mineral blocks, I would also be worried about the ties and would contact the manufacturer and be sure that the wire is stainless steel or aluminum before offering.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The mineral blocks i use are made with a stainless steel screw and is attached to the side of cage with washers and wing nuts. Parakeets and the Cockatoos have the same type. 20191008_172307.jpg 20191008_172257.jpg

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
When my quaker was laying eggs, I was worried and bought one of those manu mineral blocks that attached by twist ties to her cage. She never seemed interested so the twist ties were never an issue for us. However, they do sell them with a bolt and washer but I dont know what metal is used.

Manu Bolt-On Mineral Block Natural - Kings Cages

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
When my quaker was laying eggs, I was worried and bought one of those manu mineral blocks that attached by twist ties to her cage. She never seemed interested so the twist ties were never an issue for us. However, they do sell them with a bolt and washer but I dont know what metal is used.

Manu Bolt-On Mineral Block Natural - Kings Cages

Stainless steel i have them . Never did like those flimsy twist ties kind.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I do not give either ;) But, I feed pellets. These items were marketed or designed to keep seed eating birds from dyeing from malnutrition.

Cuttlebone I am against giving because it from one of my favorite animals - cuttlefish - which are very intelligent, and as an ocean product I worry about contaminants. Additionally, it is a poorly absorbed form of calcium so it is not even a GOOD source of the one nutrient it claims to be.

As for the mineral blocks, I would also be worried about the ties and would contact the manufacturer and be sure that the wire is stainless steel or aluminum before offering.
I agree with all of this. Birds don’t need cuttlebone or mineral blocks if they are eating a well rounded diet.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I do not give either ;) But, I feed pellets. These items were marketed or designed to keep seed eating birds from dying from malnutrition.
I agree with all of this. Birds don’t need cuttlebone or mineral blocks if they are eating a well rounded diet.
I feel relieved now then. I give them pellets after they ate their fresh veggies.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!:)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have some manu... I think many of these blocks re full of salt...mgcl is a salt...

Trouble is its like pulling teeth to get my guys to eat a few pellets. Not even sure cuttlebone is a well absorbed calcium source. Trouble with those supps is some will fight each other if given in wrong proportions..

Have a Hagen vit supp

I find these mineral blocks more useful for just chewing/playing activity. Never really gave them much cuttlebone...I suppose washed & oven baked egg shells are the same thing...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I use neither. The calcium in cuttlefish bone just goes straight through and out the other end. Mineral blocks are made with gypsum, the same as plaster boards.
A good diet provides all the calcium needed. Ground egg shells (must be ground to a powder) are a good supplement for egg layers.

*additional*
Don't be tempted to buy off-the-shelf liquid calcium supplements for your birb. Too much calcium is dangerous.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I use neither. The calcium in cuttlefish bone just goes straight through and out the other end. Mineral blocks are made with gypsum, the same as plaster boards.
A good diet provides all the calcium needed. Ground egg shells (must be ground to a powder) are a good supplement for egg layers.

*additional*
Don't be tempted to buy off-the-shelf liquid calcium supplements for your birb. Too much calcium is dangerous.

Wow, did not know that. Maybe birds chew walls to get calcium??? :rofl:

I'll have to get the ingredients to the manu which I am not using right now & the huge shells I got from Dr Fosters which neither of my birds will use except as for a perch.

To much of any vitamin or mineral or added in the wrong ratio can be bad.

Since they are not using the blocks its ok now but I don't even know if they ever truly eat it. I think some might just chew it like they chew wood & most of it gets dropped. I expect some would coat the mouth & tongue & be absorbed thru swallowing..

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think some might just chew it like they chew wood & most of it gets dropped. I expect some would coat the mouth & tongue & be absorbed thru swallowing..
Yes, cuttlefish bone is great for grooming. I fashion a small platform in the cage with the bone hard side up, in a spot where it's guaranteed to be used. It's good for the beak to nibble it too, just really zero nutritional value.
When Tau first saw one he went mad on it. Ate nothing but the bone. White poops really are weird lol. When I see mention of white poops it'll always be the first thing on my mind.

Last edited: